Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 24, 2005, 3:20 PM   #11

> But to start with a shopping list of "on sale" items is working backwards. Spending > $500 on the wrong lens is daft regardless of whether it was on a rebate or not.
> Just because you can get something cheaply doesn't mean it's money well-spent.

Thank you for your advise. I think my last reply portrayed the spirit of what you mean. I'm trying to maximise what I can get for the money I have to spend. The fact that some are not on rebate knocks them out because they are not in my range (10-22mm for example).

The 17-85 lens is in my range. But if I can get a lens discounted into my price range that will be with me for a longer time, that must be taken into account as well.

thanks again,

jpc
jpcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:20 AM   #12

There are some truly excellent lenses being offered with the rebates right now. The 1785IS, while not rebated currently, is my new walkaround lens. As for the new 70300IS, I highly recommend this lens. See this at my site: http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/70300s
fstopjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 6:05 AM   #13

>There are some truly excellent lenses being offered with the rebates right now. The >1785IS, while not rebated currently, is my new walkaround lens. As for the new >70300IS, I highly recommend this lens. See this at my site:
> http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/70300s

I recommend it too. I have it and it seems great. After all the advise I'm getting, I think I'm going with the EF 100mm macro. Thanks for all your help.

jpc
jpcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 3:24 PM   #14

If I was in the same situation, I'd pick the 17-40mm f4L to complete the triple rebate and to cover my focal range from wide to telephoto with quality lenses. Although the kit lens can do what it can do, I just leave it sitting in my 20D's box. If you go with the 100mm Macro, I have a feeling your "keepers" will mostly be on the telephoto end...and not much at all in the wide end.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 2:07 PM   #15

If I was in your position i.e., just starting out, with a small child, I would most certainly want a portrait lens. The best one available on the rebate list is the 135 2.0. It will not disappoint. Your kid is only young once so catch those child like qualities while you can. You can also use it for sports as it focuses very quickly. It is sharp sharp sharp. Good luck!!
yussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 11:03 PM   #16
Super Moderator

the 135 2.0 on a crop factor is quite tight for alot of portrait work.. its great on FF, but i think you may be running yourself into walls an awful lot.. the 85 1.8 is a great lens and is quitebit cheaper.. but as mentioned before the 100 macro will serve double duties, though it also will be quite tight on a crop factor camera..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote