Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 23, 2005, 1:52 PM   #1

Hi everyone,

I just had a question about 2 possible lens combinations and wanted to see what the difference is.

A sigma 70-300mm apo dg macro does 1:2 macro @ 300mm. I think that if you added a 500d to this lens, it would do 1:1 macro.

Now, I've also seen some pictures from Macro lenses, for example the sigma 105 macro. Are these macros 1:1 or like 1:0.5 or something? How would a shot from a dedicated macro compare to a 70-300mm w/ canon 500d?

I also noticed that most macors have to be at a higher DOF to capture everything - so what is the advantage of a fast lens if most people use higher f/stop?

Thanks for the responses! Just like learning stuff!
Doug_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2005, 9:13 AM   #2

> I also noticed that most macors have to be at a higher DOF to capture everything - so what is the advantage of a fast lens if most people use higher f/stop?

You are correct that stopping a lens way down is often useful for macro work to get a little (very little at 1:1) DOF to play with. Even at max f-stop, you're not going to "capture everything" at that magnification though - you need to be very aware of the focal plane when positioning/planning your macro shots.

The nice thing about having a f/2.8 lens is that you don't have to use it for only macro work - it works pretty well for general purpose shooting too. Macro lenses typically make for some very sharp images. However - at least on the sigma 105, the AF is pretty painfully slow, so perhaps its not your best choice for using it all the time.

sjburges is offline   Reply With Quote