Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:21 AM   #1

Finally, after 6 months of use, and trips to Great Britain and Mexico, I am starting to notice dust goblins in images from my 20D.

I would like to solicit opinions as to the pros and cons of the various sensor cleaning products available at this time, e.g. Visible Dust, Copperhill, etc.

Thanks for your input! :bye:
gordonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2006, 1:08 AM   #2
Super Moderator

easiest and most effective way i have found is..

bulb blower first.. follow that with the sensor swabs and Eclipse solution..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 5:24 AM   #3

Yes, a bulb blower works the best. Be sure you have a fully charged battery, and select sensor clean from the tools menu. Be sure to hold your camera with the sensor facing down otherwise the dust will just float back down onto your sensor again. Most of the time that is all you will need to do, unless you have some really stubborn dust, then you would have touse the sensor swab as Dustin stated.If you log on to The CanonDigital Learning Center http://photoworkshop.com one of the pro tips show a quick movie clip ofhow he cleans his sensor.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:28 PM   #4

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
easiest and most effective way i have found is..

bulb blower first.. follow that with the sensor swabs and Eclipse solution..

-dustin
Yep, this is the best way to do it. I've seen this new charged brush called the Artic Butterfly I think? I'd like to try this, but I think it runs about 80 bucks...

Chris M
www.imagineimagery.com
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:42 PM   #5

ChrisDM: The Arctic Butterfly is merely the travel version of the Visible Brush.

The Visible Brush is charged by blowing canned air at it. Since you can't carry canned air on commercial flights, they came up wih the Arctic Butterfly, which hasa rotor which blows air and allows the brush to "self charge".

I would still like to hear fromindividuals who have used any of the other sensor cleaning products. (I goofed by posting under Canon Lenses rather than DSLRs, but I don't know how to move the thread. Sorry!:yawn: )
gordonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 3:56 PM   #6

I too am in the position of needing to clean my sensor for the first time (it was cleaned once previously by the retailer I bought it at, under a warrantee theyoffered).

I ordered a "Lens Pen" from here:
http://www.birdsasart.com/lenspens.htmand am anxiously waiting for it to arrive. Has anyone here used this?
101Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 1:42 AM   #7

I've used the copperhill swabber. Cheap, easy to use and it works. I'm afraid of blowing forced air into my camera. I didn't see the link to the copperhill website mentioned, thus here it is: http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:18 AM   #8
Super Moderator

barthold reminds me of a good point. you do NOT want to used canned/compressed air in your camera.. but a simple bulb blower is perfectly safe and is suggested by manufacturer.. usually though you will need to follow this with some sort of solution as it is not usually enough on its own unless you have only minor dust issues..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 9:54 PM   #9

I noticed dust spots collecting on my sensor also, so tried something different. I have a large room HEPA portable air cleaner that I set up in the bathroom. I let it run in there for about an hour to make a "clean" room. I took a shower to make sure I didn't have any danruff & make the air as clean as possible. After all this, I then started to clean the sensor by holding the open camera in front of the clean air outlet from the HEPA filter. A check after this found only one dust spot left, at this time I remove itin post processing.

I guess some might laugh at this method, but it did work. Not very practical in the field, but does work at home. The camera is the D350 XT, my first DSLR. I am going to purchase a bulb blower and the copperhill material for future use.
Winginhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 9:54 PM   #10

I noticed dust spots collecting on my sensor also, so tried something different. I have a large room HEPA portable air cleaner that I set up in the bathroom. I let it run in there for about an hour to make a "clean" room. I took a shower to make sure I didn't have any danruff & make the air as clean as possible. After all this, I then started to clean the sensor by holding the open camera in front of the clean air outlet from the HEPA filter. A check after this found only one dust spot left, at this time I remove itin post processing.

I guess some might laugh at this method, but it did work. Not very practical in the field, but does work at home. The camera is the D350 XT, my first DSLR. I am going to purchase a bulb blower and the copperhill material for future use.
Winginhunk is offline   Reply With Quote