Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 2, 2006, 2:16 AM   #1

i'm looking at upgrading my kit lens, my wide angle. i want something that will be good for all around lanscape shots, walk arounds, and mainly indoor group activities, such as weddings specifically, birthday parties, etc.

my current lenses include:

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro for Canon
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

just curious as to what's a good all around lens, that is good on low light situations, and is not $4000 thanks for the input, and have a great new year
jedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2006, 2:22 PM   #2
Super Moderator

check out tamron's 17-35 2.8-4.0... or sigma's 18-50 2.8 DC.. both have good optics, are much faster than your current kit lens and are reasonably priced.. the sigma covers a better range and is faster, but its DC only, which is only really an issue if you are upgrading to FF anytime soon or use a film camera from time to time..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 3:03 PM   #3

stupid newbie question, but DC stands for? when i upgrade in the future, it will more than likely be full frams...but way down the line. and keep the 350d for backup. anyway, the 18-50 seems like a good lens, as well as the tamron, but do they have a good range, as far as for like wedding shots in your opinion? i know i'm not goin to get a long range, like my 70-300, but what do you think would it be a good focal length for those shots that might not need a huge wide angle, but a closer crop?

i might be getting this fairly soon, thanks for the quick response hards. you definitely are appreciated. you're always the first one to jump on any question i've had, and it's always been informative.

have a great new year

-jed
Old Jan 2, 2006, 5:53 PM   #4
Super Moderator

the DC is sigma's designation for digital only lenses..

the 18-50 offers a great zoom range for weddings and general portraits and such.. . as with the crop factor it becomes about 28-80, which has always been the gold standard for such pictures.. the 17-35 would work as well, but you may be switching lenses to the 50 1.8 more often to get the speed and length you need at the long end..

happy new years to you as well!
dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 9:24 PM   #5

I have the exact same lenses and camera as you do OP (original poster)

I decided to get the tamron 17-35mm after some recommendations and I must say the pictures it takes are really wonderful. I decided to get the tamron because for the 50mm range I would just use my prime or the kit lens.

Doug_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 9:45 PM   #6

I have the Tamron 17-35 and I think it does a great job.

Attached Images

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:24 PM   #7

thanks so much for the input. i think i'm going to go w/ the sigma. the tamron looks great, but i think the extra on the long end will be what i'm looking for in my wedding photography and such.

once again, thanks so much