Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 4, 2006, 5:55 PM   #1

... watching a ball game, baseball, hockey, etc. What lens is good for add on to a Canon Rebel XT? Looking to bring the action close up and get a clear, crisp shot. Thanks for comments. :?
photo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2006, 6:14 PM   #2

Here are a few I took a couple of weeks ago at a hockey match in Atlanta with the RebelXT and the Canon 100mm f2.0 lens:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=82

GeorgeNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:37 AM   #3

Whatever lens you buy, especially if you're talking pro sports,make sure you can get into the stadium with it. Up to now I've hadno problems getting intothe localmajor league baseball stadium with my outfit, but they're getting stingier these days at the local arena where the NHLhockey and NBA teams reside. Anything that extends longer than 4 inches now cannot get in the building without prior approval. I just about got turned away last week at an NHL game.

How close you planning to sit? The lens needed will make a difference. There's no universal answer the way you've asked the question. A 100mm lens mentioned above is probably OK if you're down near row one, but move up the section or to a middle deck and you quickly start needing something closer to 300mm.

Night or day action? For nights, a zoom that only opens up to f5.6 at the tele end will be problematic, and you'll be shooting at ISO 1600 to have any chance at getting a decent shutter speed, let alone one that will completely stop action or give "clear, crisp shots"..
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 11:58 AM   #4

You need to be more specific about what type of venue (pro, college, HS) and what you mean by bring the action up close. For instance, the hockey shots from the previous poster - are they close enough for you or do you want the action closer.

The venue will drive what size lens you can get away with as another poster indicated. So, unless you haveexcellent seats you're unlikely to get good clear shots with the action up close.

Here's an example of what a 70-200 2.8 lens can give you at a pro basketball game from the stands. But these were very expensive seats (given to me free - no way I'm paying $85 for basketball tickets) in the lower section. From nose bleed - forget it! Also, one usher questioned me about the lens - was it under 4" long - "Absolutely" I replied (another few Our Fathers for that one ) - other guards/ushers said nothing. Taking same outfit into a baseball stadium elicited no comments. For field sports like football, 200mm is OK on the sidelines but even 400mm from the stands is not enough for great pics. But, it depends on what your standards are too.

So, provide some more specifics about what venues you want to shoot in.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:47 PM   #5

For indoor and less-than-ideal outdoor lighting you've got to have a fast (f2.8) lens. And, since the action can be relatively near or far from where you sit, a zoom will let you get better composed shots. If you can afford it (around $2,000) the Sigma 120-300 2.8 lens is hard to beat, especially for the price. Fast and sharp but, like others in that category, heavy. I have one and love it.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:45 PM   #6
NHL

I second the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 EX as well - there's just nothing else like it for fast lens!

... and in case you want to handhold a 600mm f/5.6 (with a 2x teleconverter) like I was in my short threading this river bed: :-)

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:52 PM   #7

That's why the venue is so important. There may be quite a few pro arenas or stadiums that wouldn't allow in the 120-300. And for football that is still too short from the stands (unless you have great seats and even then you'd be limited to 1/3 of the field at most).

Still, I'm envious - hoping to get that lens before football starts next season.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 2:16 PM   #8
NHL

JohnG

This is why I kept my 70-200 f/2.8 EX, they just serve different needs...
Old Jan 5, 2006, 2:51 PM   #9

Hey that 300mm lens on a digital camera =s 480mm. You won't be able to hold that sucker still enough to stop any blurring.:homey:
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:10 PM   #10
NHL

Kanon wrote:
Quote:
Hey that 300mm lens on a digital camera =s 480mm. You won't be able to hold that sucker still enough to stop any blurring.:homey:
Check the exif on the above shot...

-> If you can't handhold the 120-300 f/2.8, the also fast 100-300 f/4 Sigma EX is half the weight and also outstanding, plus it is very affordable!!!