Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:41 PM   #1

I have recently got the 70-200L f2.8 IS USM lense and i am thrilled with it!, but im doing something not quite right! i love action/sport photography and when i am following a subject ie horse cantering around field for example, im not sure what i have to put the focusing distance range switch on, as the subject is in various focus points, and some (not all) shots are quite blurry. I have camera (20D) on TV and AI servo, can anyone give me any pointers as to where i am going wrong, as i have been used to using the 75-300 f4.5 IS USM and its quite a different ball game.
barkerlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2006, 7:21 AM   #2

If your subject comes within 3m of you then you will need to switch the focus switch to 1.5m-infinity. If not then set it to 3m-infinity and it will hunt less if it struggles to focus.Hopefully someone else will be along to help with your other questions. (I'm just learning the basics of the 70-200 f2.8 L non IS myself).One other thing, make sure you switch the IS switch to position 2 if you are panning the lens with the movement of the horse as this will stabilise the image vertically only. Hope that's of some help.edit: Also try using just the center focus point if you aren't already.Jonathan
jonathan1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 10:34 AM   #3

Thanks Jonathan for your advice, i will definately try the centre focus point only, i have been doing everything else you advise so it looks like its just down to me! but its a great lense isnt it. regards Bev.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 11:06 PM   #4

Technique and practice. It is not easy to pan and follow a moving subject at the right rate, get the camera to focus, and get a clean shot. Youre bound to get blurry pics.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 2:58 AM   #5

Hit the nail on the head here! i think we all through our learning curves wish some miracle cure will come along, but even in the last couple of days i have noticed a big difference in my pictures, just through good old practice.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:56 AM   #6

Good! Sounds like you're learnin and having fun. That is what it is about for me!

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote