Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 21, 2006, 7:53 PM   #11

Boog wrote:
Quote:
Could someone post a picture or two from the lens in question? (Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM

This was taken on this lens with a 20D. Most of my images with it suffered from bad CA. Also it felt really cheap. The end flopped around and the focussing was very slow.It ended up on ebay after a few weeks. I was told "Buy cheap and you'll buy twice". They were right. I replaced it with a 70-200 f/2.8L IS and have never looked back.

Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 6:28 AM   #12

I have few complaints about my 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM except for keeping it stable at low light conditions. But thats expected with any lens of such a length and speed.

I took this about 20 minutes after sunset the other night...

And as for an action shot, here is one my friend shot of me driving on the track using my Rebel XT and the same 75-300mm lens. Obviouslly the lighting conditions sucked (super bright overhead sun) and its full of noise.... but i had gotton the lens two days before and the camera a week before that and never had used an SLR. I'm also hand holding it with the lens at full zoom.

Andrew LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 4:32 PM   #13

Paul(UK) wrote:
Quote:
Boog wrote:
Quote:
Could someone post a picture or two from the lens in question? (Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM

This was taken on this lens with a 20D. Most of my images with it suffered from bad CA. Also it felt really cheap. The end flopped around and the focussing was very slow.It ended up on ebay after a few weeks. I was told "Buy cheap and you'll buy twice". They were right. I replaced it with a 70-200 f/2.8L IS and have never looked back.

Yeah, but you're talking about a $200 lens and comparing it to a $1600 lens... I would LOVE to have that lens, but it is way out of my price range right now... I'll have one some day or the equivalent of, but I can't afford it right now.... My first "L" lens will probably be a 70-200mm f4 L

Thanks for posting a picture though! I really appreciate it! It puts what every one has been saying about the lens into perspective and stuff... I'm by far no professional, doubt I ever will be, but I would like some pro line lenses some day. But right now, I'm just looking for something that might give me really good results while learning my way around the rebel or at least until I could afford an "L" lens.

Thanks again for the help!

Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 12:09 AM   #14

get the sigma , http://www.sigma4less.com/sess/utn;j...300F4ADCA%3D29 this lens is better than the canon EF ,henry's will sell it for $300 cad ( I think ) if you print out this price from sigma for less.com.
ht770 is offline   Reply With Quote