Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 9, 2006, 5:24 PM   #11
NHL

I did a perspective correction since I was shooting from the ground floor
-> the image would have tilted inward otherwise...

The Canon booth:
Attached Images

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 5:36 PM   #12

How did u do that.

THe Caesars actually looks tilted outwards, and it made me feel as if the building is distorted.:roll:correct me if i am wrong.

svb
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 5:48 PM   #13
NHL

Out from the camera:

i.e. the only way to keep the perspective in check with a super wide was to shoot from the middle floors viewpoint (alas I need to grow wings :-))
Attached Images

Old Jan 9, 2006, 6:04 PM   #14

now i know what u meant..

and how i wish even i have wings...

currently i am reno, and going to vegas this weekend. I love that place.

Did u go to venetian. Even thats an awesome place. I am expecting some fotos from u from inside of caesars too.

great picture.

svb

do u use a 20D???
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:43 PM   #15

If I was fortunate enough to find a copy of the Sigma 12-24mm lens as NHL's, I would have kept it. Unfortunately, after 2 so-so copies...I didn't want to go for 3. Anyway, NHL, I'm curious as to how you fixed the distortions...ie what did you use to fix them? Thanks.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 6:57 AM   #16
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
Did u go to venetian. Even thats an awesome place. I am expecting some fotos from u from inside of caesars too.
See my landscape posting

AlpineMan wrote:
Quote:
I'm curious as to how you fixed the distortions...ie what did you use to fix them? Thanks.
I used the perspective cropping:
http://www.photoshopforphotographers.com/download/Cropping.pdf

Old Jan 10, 2006, 6:51 PM   #17

NHL.

Your shot is amazing. Very nice pic. Looks like the lens holds up well in low light. Was that shot taken hand held?

I can get the Tokina for $450.00 and the Sigma will set me back $600.00.

So the question is- is the Sigma worth the extra $150.00 bucks.

HSMis nice to have but I really wont need it with the wide angle cause I am only going to use it on stationary objects such as landscapes and family portraits.

My main concerns are with " fisheye effects " and sharpness. Both lenses seem to handle them both pretty well , so I guess I have some more research to do.

Of course the HSM and the manual to auto focus switch on the Sigma have spoiled me a little. Not to mention I already have five EX Series lenses.

Thanks for the help and the great pics.

Arowana
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:02 PM   #18

If your choice is limited to the Sigma 12-24mm or the Tokina 12-24mm, I would go with the Sigma...and hope you get a good copy. I'm just not convinced on the Tokina...the reviews I've read all say CA problems on the Tokina. And NHL's right...the Sigma 12-24mm is the only full frame compatible lens in this range. According to the EXIF on the Ceasar's Palace shots, the shutter was open for 3 seconds...unless NHL's a robot, I don't think it was a hand-held shot. :blah:
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:11 PM   #19
Super Moderator

the CA on the Tokina is not any worse than alot of other lenses.. especially not my copy.. and it takes a very high contrast scene to elicit it... it was the sharpest of the lenses tested as iis evident by my 100% crop... and that is straight out of the camera, no processing.. and i remind you a 100% crop.. how much sharper do you want from a super wide... and it has the bonus of being the only constant aperture lens at a constant f4... and the HSM, not needed onsuch alens.. the elements move soshort of a distance that the differences in speed is negligeable..

so don't let alpine scare you off.. i actually own this lens and recommend it is as the best lens and value in this category... provided you do not want FF capabilities..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:00 PM   #20

Yea. I really did not think the HSM would be that important.

I hear good and bad things about all lenses, thats why I like to ask people who has a great photograpy background and hands on info to give. If I wanted to get a lense based on hear say and majority I would buy a Canon lense. But I am not here to jump on any band wagon. I just want the most for my money.

You have proven to me that the Tokina is a great lense. Others have proven that the Sigma is just as good. Even others have proven that they both have there faults. But to me, based on the photos you andNHLhave posted, I really cant go wrong either way.

So It really comes down to EX build quality, optics and HSM vs Tokina build quality,optics and constant f/4 aperature. And lets not forget that $150.00 price difference.

Thanks again. You guys are always a big help.

Arowana/ Joey

arowana is offline   Reply With Quote