Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:27 PM   #1

Christmas is over and bills are paid up. Now its time to get that lens. I am looking for a sharp and fast wide angle with little or no "fisheye" or distortion. Does not have to be 10 or 12 mm but it would be nice. Mabey you guys can post some photos that you have taken with the ones you have. The only other prefrence I have is that it not be a Canon. I have a bag full of Sigma EX lenses and one Tamron. I like them very much and would like to stay with them.

Thanks

Arowana ( Joey)

I know Hards and NHL have some great wide angle pics to share.
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2006, 1:10 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i have the tokina 12-24.. this lens is tack sharp, built like a tank and just a joy to use.. in my testing it was equal to the optics of the canon and was slightly sharper and held distortion better than the sigma 10-20 and the tamron 11-18.. the sigma 12-24 full frame exhandles distortion the best of all but i think the tokina can be marginally sharper.. i wouldchoose between tokina and the ff sigma 12-24..

here is one from my tokina at 12mm
Attached Images

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 1:12 PM   #3
Super Moderator

this is a 100% crop from about 20mm..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 8:20 PM   #4

I knew you would have much input on this. Thank you. I have not considered the Tokina untill now so I will check it out. Great pics. Your eye ( no pun intended ) for photography is outstanding. Thanks again.

My wife and I are planning to take a trip to St. Louis as soon as it warms up a bit. Mabey well bump into each other. I want to get a wide angle lens for the arch. The arch, blue skies and landscape would make a great photo if I can get them all in one frame.
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 11:38 PM   #5

arowana

Here are a few examples of the Sigma 10-20mm EX on my Digital Rebel. I have been very pleaseed with the output ofthis lens on the Rebel.I have noticed very littledistortion, as long as I keep thecameralevel. Thesharpness has been great. With having HSM, it is really quiet and fast. I have noticed that this lens is at its best between5.6 and 10.

I have upgraded to the 20D, but with the weather hear in Ct I have nothad much of a chance to use it.

What is also nice, is that I can stack my Hoya Pro1 Neutral Density and my thin Circular Polarizer without getting any vinnetting. I have also read that it can take a standard CP.

Hope you likethese. I know that my images are not as good as Dustins or NHL's, but just wanted to show you what the Sigma can do.

This was shot from a tri pod and a Hellopan Thin Circular Polarizer.

Bill

Attached Images

Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 11:40 PM   #6

Here is a second one:

Bill
Attached Images

Old Jan 8, 2006, 11:44 PM   #7

Here is a third one. This one is at 20mm.

Bill
Attached Images

Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:59 AM   #8

I was looking for a super wide angle lens myself a couple of weeks ago. I was torn in getting a Tokina 12-24mm, Sigma 12-24mm, and a Canon 10-22mm. I previously owned two copies of the Sigma...one wasn't so good and the other was just ok. As far as the Tokina goes, I've read a few reviews about it and according to what I've read, it suffers greatly in terms of CA. Rather than taking another chance on the Sigma, I went with the sure bet...ended up getting a used Canon 10-22mm for a great price...about the same price you'd pay used for the Sigma 12-24mm. I did a few test shots...same shots that I took with my two previous Sigma's, and I like the results much better this time around.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 4:51 PM   #9
NHL

arowana

Kind of late to the party (just came back from the Vegas's CES), but here's my input for the Sigma 12-24 EX, the only full-frame super wide zoom in existance with HSM:
Attached Images

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 5:09 PM   #10

Hey NHL.

is it due to the compresssion of the image that i am seeing a bit of distortion or the picture came out the way it is..

i feel its the compression.

SVB
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote