Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 8, 2006, 7:16 PM   #1

Thinking about this one for my 300D, will it fit. Somewhere I read it was only for the 20D
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2006, 7:29 PM   #2

No, Ma'am... the EFS-17-85IS works fine on your Digital Rebel (300D) as well as the Rebel XT (350XT) and the 20D.

I use it all the time on my 20D. It's a great walk-around lens. Lots of folks who have never used it knock it. It had a bad reputation early - on. You'll like the lens.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 7:46 PM   #3
Super Moderator

very versatile lens.. and good optics considering the range it covers.. good IS system to boot.. it'll be on your camera a lot..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 8:56 PM   #4

I have a 28-105 usm and was wondering if would be worth getting one asI have no probs with this lens but was thinking of replacing my 18-55 kit lens with a 17-85.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 11:01 PM   #5

The value of Image Stabilization which lets you hand hold at slow shutter speeds cannot be overstated.
ropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:07 PM   #6

Be sure to have a program to reduce or eliminate CA. This lens has an especially hard time with trees on bright days.
yussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:39 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Hmm, it has that reputation. And perhaps your copy does?

But I have never seen any CA worth correcting, and that includes lots of shots of trees against overcast London skies.

I was prepared for the CA when I bought the lens, but it's just not there to any noticable degree that I have seen.

Of course now I use DXO so if it shows up in the RAW file it will be corrected for me.

But here is a shot that should show a lot of CA if you believe the reports, either I'm blind or it's really not apparent at all. An A4 print shows nothing visible to the naked eye - I haven't looked under a loupe.
Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:38 PM   #8

Although I don't own the lens, the only drawback is the F4 max aperture.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 9:09 PM   #9

Im thinking of bidding on one of these lenses on ebay, it is near new (purchased in sept 05) and Im wondering what would be a fair price to pay for it. I was going with around just over half price, any opinions???? Its already at half price and Im wondering if it is worth bidding it up much higher seeing as I dont use a lot of wide angle and have a 28-105 usm. Is the image stability worth it??? Im was hoping to replace my kit lens at some time
Old Jan 14, 2006, 7:54 AM   #10
Ash

Is IS worth it? Totally - Worth every penny.

I bought mine from Camera House in Leederville, they seem to be the cheapest in Perth @ $879. They price up to $1200 elsewhere. I wouldn't pay anymore than about $600 maybe $650. $200 is a fair price to pay for warranty and piece of mind... in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Dave.
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote