Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 9, 2006, 4:25 AM   #1

I notice the Canon 350D supports EF and EF-S lenses (according to the documentation). Looking on the Jessops web site they only list lenses for Canon AF and Canon FD fittings only - no mention of EF lenses.

Can anyone clarify exactly what type of lenses my camera supports?

Many thanks!
mmozzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2006, 7:22 AM   #2

AF is (or i think it is) universally known as, "Auto Focus".

EF is Canon's short form for, "Electronic Focus". Pretty much the same thing.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 7:25 AM   #3

Right, so if I were to shop for lenses, I could indeed go for an 'AF' type Canon mount lenses.

Thanks for the clarification!
Old Jan 9, 2006, 7:59 AM   #4

If you have any doubts about a particular lens - look on Canon's websight and see if it is still in their inventory. That will garranty the lens will work with your camera. One other piece of information: EF-S lenses are made especially for the smaller sensor sized DSLRs in Canon's line-up (300D, 350D, 20D). These lenses were not made for and won't work properly on a Canon camera with a larger sensor (5d, 1-series). SInce a good lens will almost always outlive the camera body this fact has kept a number of people from buying ef-s lenses.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:42 AM   #5

Ok, many thanks for the information, I'll bear it in mind. In the (very) near future I'm going to be looking for a 300mm range lens for capturing basketball shots, the Sigma 70-300mm has caught my eye.

Cheers again
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:54 AM   #6

Indoor or outdoor basketball?

If indoor, I think you're in a bit of trouble. That lens has a max aperture of 5.6 when zoomed out which will be too slow for indoor sports. Here in the states, you can typically get by with 2.8 in college or pro arenas because the lighting is excellent. But for high school type arenas the lighting is too poor for reliable shots with 2.8. Which typically leads to buying a lens like the 85mm 1.8. But that's if you're shooting from the floor. And since you said 300mm I'm guessing you will be shooting from the stands. So, finding the right lens may be difficult - especially if you don't have enough lighting for a 2.8 lens. Anything faster requires prime lenses (non zoom) so you have to choose a focal lenth and those usually max out at 200mm (like the 200mm 1.8 - a $3400 USD lens).

In general sports shooting is pretty demanding equipment wise. So any time you're looking for a lens for a particular sport - try to find someone who has used that lens for that sport before so you don't end up spending hundreds of $$ on a lens that isn't up to the task
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:25 AM   #7

Indoor amateur basketball - in gym halls and the like so the lighting isn't too good. I had my first outing with the kit lens yesterday and got some reasonable shots but as you said, with a maximum aperture of 3.5-5.6 a fair few of the fast action shots were blurred. .

The whole D-SLR world is pretty new to me and I'm just trying to learn the ropes. I'm considering the 300mm lens as I've heard its reasonable for all round use (not just for basketball). At this point I don't particularly want to invest in primes - I'd rather build up a collection of 'generic' use lenses first and then get some specific use lenses further down the line (as you said perhaps a good fast prime for side-line use).

When I do get a telephoto lenses I'll take your advice on board and not expect too much!

Many thanks for your advice, it really is appreciated.