Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:15 AM   #1

I have two lenses which need some filters.

Canon 17 -85 and Sigma 70 - 200 2.8

I have Quantaray filters on the Canon lens now and they seem to be OK (bought the camera and lens at Ritz). The polarizer is fairly thin and doesn't seem to be causing much in the way of vignetting.

I just bought the Sigma and was wondering if it too needed the very thin filters. It is far from a wide angle so I thought not. Anyways, I was looking at a few different brands and obviously the prices were all over the place. Money is always a factor, but if there is enough of a difference, I have no problem making the investment. The brands that I saw most often were B + W, Hoya and Tiffen. How do these lenses compare to one another and are there others that I should be looking at?? The B + W UV filter was about $79 and seemed to be rated highly.

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:53 AM   #2

bigboyhf

When I buy filters, I try to get the best that I can afford. You can see a difference from the Tiffen to the B&W filters in the qulity of the image. For the B&W and Heliopan filters, they are stone ground to be flat. Some others are from pressed glass or even plastic. For the Hoya filters, get their multi coated ones, as these are better ones from Hoya. Their new Pro 1 Digitals are nice, as I just got one.

Another big factor in the filters today is if you get them coated or not. Getting multicoated filters will give you less reflections(halo's) from the sun. They do cost more, but I feel they are worth it.

For a UV filter, I really don't recomend them. They can degrade your image, as you just put another piece of glass in front of a nice lens. If you want to use one, test to see if you notice any image fall off.

For the Sigma 70-200 2.8, you should be able to use a standard size filter as this is a tele lense, no need to buy a thin filter for this. I have been thinking of getting this lense myself.

As for the filters that I would recomend, I would look at the B&W, Heliopan, and Hoya. I have had good luck with all of these manufactures. The Tiffen ones can be good, but I have read that they can be bad too. For the Quantaray filters, I am not sure who makes them for Ritz, and I have never used one. They never have the ones that I need when I go to the store.

Hope this helps

Bill

Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:29 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i agree.. the b&w, heliopans and hoyas are good.. they all make good polarizing filters..

for the reasons mentioned above i don't recommned keeping a UV filter on your lens at all times, i just cant see putting a cheaper piece of glass in front of my nice optics.. UNLESS you are shooting in the desert or in heavy salt spray.. otherwise keep the lens hood on for ding protection and keep your front element properly cleaned..

best o' luck,
dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:39 PM   #4

As it happens, I did get a quantaray UV filter for the Sigma and I accidentally scratched it. It saved the lens from being damaged and I only have the lens a week! While I don't want to screw up my pics, I think a tiny bit of tradeoff is worth protecting the lens. Thats why I want to find the best one with the best optics. If not the UV, what do you use? Or do you go bare?

H
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:49 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i go bare unless i need my circ-polarizer or my graduate NDs..

but if you are going with a UV or a skylight 1a for protection.. get the BEST you can afford.. the professional and supermulticoats from the b&w, heliopan and hoya are good..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 1:43 PM   #6
Super Moderator

My £40 Hoya pro causes noticable vignetting on my 17-85 @ the wide end.

Complete waste of money.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 4:15 PM   #7

Is that Hoya Pro the super thin filter? I know that for wide angle you need the thinnest filter you can get...

H