Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:14 PM   #11

probably i will buy the camera w/ kit lenses.

can you tell me what is the difference about the Rebel XT and the EOS 350D? I know that there's in silver and black (resp.).

Are they the same? Where can I find the silver one? Here in Portugal, I can't find it...

How's the battery life of that camera? Will I need an extra one? from Canon or a compatible will do?

Deiota
Deiota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 2:56 AM   #12
Super Moderator

The XT (USA name) and 350D (European name) are the same thing.

Good idea to get the kit lens, it's very good value for money and you will need it for wide-angle shots.

Battery life is very good, and will definitely last for 1 full day of heavy use, on my 20D I often get 1-2 weeks of light usage from a single charge. Having said that however, I do have a spare battery, because it means I can leave the spare battery charged and in my bag and just use the other one until the charge runs out. I would say you don't really NEED the spare battery but I always carry one.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 6:03 AM   #13

does it mean that I can't find the silver here in Portugal?? :X
Old Jan 13, 2006, 2:34 PM   #14

Hi,

You should be able to get either the Silver or the Black one.

bluwing
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 4:01 AM   #15

bluwing wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

You should be able to get either the Silver or the Black one.

bluwing

Hello!

I simply cannot find the Silver one here...

I'm considering on a 1 GB card, is it enough? For how many photos will it do, when recording in RAW, RAW+JPEG and JPEG (highest resolution)??

Is it really better to save photos as RAW? Will I see the difference?

Is it easy to work with camera menus?

How about the Canon Software? Is it any good? Will I be much better with Photoshop CS2? It converts RAW right?

Thanks a lot!

Deiota
Old Jan 14, 2006, 5:55 AM   #16

It is better to shoot RAW. Your RAW file is your "digital negative". You can do non-destructive edits, then convert your images to JPEG at whatever size and filesize you need.

A RAW file is about 8mb, so you will get 100+ shots on a 1gb card. Better to get a 2gb card. Doesn't have to be an expensive one.

Your Canon camera comes with EOS VIEWER that allows you to see your RAW files on your camera and to copy them to your local machine.

I use RAWSHOOTER (free product, $59 for full version) to edit RAW files. Canon also includes tools to work with RAW files but I prefer RAWSHOOTER.

CS2 probably deals with RAW (I don't use it, but I use Elements 2.0). CS2 has a high learning curve. You may need to take lessons or read or book.

However, it's nice to do post processing with a product like CS2 or Elements because you can work with layers, dodge and burn, and lots of neat effects.

I do my basic cropping and adjusting using RAWSHOOTER.

I've used the older CAnon Rebel and I found the menus to be a piece of cake.

The Rebel is a simple, yet very powerful tool for collecting professional grade shots.

The body ergonomics are not the best, but my theory is you get used to it.

The main thing is the quality of the shots, and the 8mb CMOS sensor is professional grade.

The rEBEL XT is a lot of camera at a slightly higher than entry level DSLR price. Welll worth it.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 11:34 AM   #17

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
It is better to shoot RAW. Your RAW file is your "digital negative". You can do non-destructive edits, then convert your images to JPEG at whatever size and filesize you need.

A RAW file is about 8mb, so you will get 100+ shots on a 1gb card. Better to get a 2gb card. Doesn't have to be an expensive one.
Thanks again!

Here the 2 GB CF are too expensive. For the current photos, I'll probably record in RAW mode.

Otherwise, record it in RAW then!

Perhaps when the 2GB are less expensive, I'll buy one!

What about the flash included in the camera? Is it enough?

Thanks

Deiota

My MSN contact is [email protected], if you want to add me!
Old Jan 14, 2006, 1:48 PM   #18

Deoita,

General the Canon flash is very good, but limited range.

If you need to get out beyond 20 feet, or use special techniques like "bounce" flash, you'll need an external flash.

I use a Sunpak 383 which is farily inexpensive.

Canon makes some nice external flash units, but they are more expensive.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 6:05 PM   #19

Hi there Terry, I have the first Digital issued Canon Rebel and found that you cannot set the camera to take Raw images in the auto mode. Expect that it is the same for the Rebel XT? Also one tends to gather a few smaller cards 128, 256 after a few digital purchases. These can always be used as a back up until the price is right on the larger card. My experience has been - buy it today and tomorrow the price will go down.Several months after I purchased my 300D the XT was introduced.

Andrea I purchased my 300D without a lens. Picked up a Canon 24mmx85mm 1:35-4.5 and a Canon 135mm 1:2.8. Gives me the range that I am looking for.

Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 7:19 PM   #20

Hi again!

Thanks for all your replies!

I have another question.

My EOS 300 (film) has two lenses: EF 28-80 mm 1:3.5-5.6 II (Canon Zoom Lens) and the other is EF 75-300 mm 1:4-5.6 III (Canon Zoom Lens).

As I know, these lenses with the analogic camera work with manual zoom (rotating the appropriate ring).

At tee Reble XT, with these lenses, how do I zoom? Manual (rotating the ring) or is there a button to do that auto or can I simply choose it?

Best regards,

Deiota