Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 17, 2006, 9:05 PM   #1

Hello! I'll get my new Cano EOS Rebel XT next week and I want to buy a Macro lens too!

What should I buy? A Canon lens or another brand, like Sigma or another?

Which model? Considering on buying the best Price/Quality, since it's just for fun, not professional.

Thanks!

Deiota
Deiota is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2006, 10:46 AM   #2

Deiota wrote:
Quote:
Hello! I'll get my new Cano EOS Rebel XT next week and I want to buy a Macro lens too!

What should I buy? A Canon lens or another brand, like Sigma or another?

Which model? Considering on buying the best Price/Quality, since it's just for fun, not professional.

Thanks!

Deiota
The benchmark for consumer-grade macro lenses is the Canon 100mm Macro. Tamron makes a 90mm and Sigma makes a 150mm that get good reviews also. I would avoid Canon's 60mm Macro as the shorter focal length gives you less working distance (you have to get closer to your subject), and the EF-S mount type might not be compatible with your next camera.

Hope this helps.

Chris M
www.imagineimagery.com

ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 10:41 AM   #3
NHL

There's really no 'bad' macro lens - These lenses only serve one purpose and folks who buy them are pretty picky bunch anyway! :-)

Like ChrisDM said the key is the working distance, so pick the longest focal lenght you can afford as it will be easier to illuminate as well (and not scare the critters away). IMO a 150mm is perfect because it's not as heavy (or as expensive) as a 180mm:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=7
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote