Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 19, 2006, 7:55 AM   #1

I recently bought my first DSLR - Nikon D70scomplete with kit lensand my photography teacher is trying to convince me to switch to the Canon system. He is offering me his 20D since he is getting the 5D.

Can anyonegive me a reason why theCanon system isbetter than the Nikon system?

I am looking to buy a macro but I don't want to get stuck in the wrong system.

Thank you,

Yitz Woolf
Ywoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2006, 8:27 AM   #2

Yes, the Canon system is better than Nikon's because the instructor can also sell you some of his lenses too. Once he gets the 5D, he'll find that it exposes the short comings of most non-L or non-EX lenses. Seriously, I don't think I'd take a class with that instructor. The differences between the Nikon D70s and the 20D aren't worth the expense you'd incur by returning the camera and buying your instructor's gear. Well, I don't know that for sure, he might be giving a really good deal. My opinion only.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 8:30 AM   #3

I'm being serious here - I just want to know which is a better system. Please save your conspiracy theories for your therapist.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 9:45 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Nothing to choose between the 2 systems really, generally speaking.

For pros with special needs - it rather depends on those special needs. The Canon telephotos seem to be a little cheaper for a given quality level. But we're talking about the really expensive lenses here.

For wide-angle the Nikon lenses generally get the nod over the Canons. Again talking about the really high-end kit.

Canon have full-frame in the 1D & 5D, Nikon have the best small-sensor camera in the D2X.

I'd agree if the instructor is going to give you a boat-load of lenses at a good price too then it might be worth considering. My advice would be the same if he were urging you to switch from Canon to Nikon.

It all depends on the deal he's offering.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 11:31 AM   #5

Thanks. He is just offering the plastic kit lens that came with his 20D. I guess if it's a good deal I would consider it. Otherwise I'll stay with my Nikon.

My main concern is the prices of the Nikon lenses are generallyy higher than the Canon ones but you are saying that that is only true in really high end lenses.

Thanks,

Yitz

Old Jan 19, 2006, 5:52 PM   #6

Maybe see if you can borrow the 20D and if you like it better.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote