Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:28 AM   #11

NHL,

I'm not as familiar at MTF charts as you, but in looking at them, I would agree with the estimate in this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=37&page=2

That in comparing the charts using the same range the 24-70 appears to be better. Of course neither chart is true apples to apples since it doesn't compare the same focal range (i.e. both at 50mm say).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 2:32 PM   #12
NHL

JohnG

From what I understand the blue curves are plotted @ f/8 so if you look at the tele, the 17-85 at least seems to be superior in sharpness with nearly equal FOV at the same aperture (i.e. 85 vs 75mm) - At the wide the 24-70L might be slightly superior, but the 17-85 is clearly much wider here so that's quite a feast... for a non-L!

-> anything higher than ~13mm diagonal really do not apply to cropped dSLR
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 9:07 PM   #13

The greatest difference between the Sigma and Canon is price.

Perhaps Canon holds the edge on resale value.

My rule of thumb is this:

1) If you're making money from your photos and can write off the lens as a business expense, get the "L" lens.

2) If you're not making money from your photos, buy a Sigma or a Tamron and save some money.

3) If you're completely loaded and price is no object, buy the "L" lens.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:01 AM   #14
NHL

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
The greatest difference between the Sigma and Canon is price.
No one will argue with that
One might be surprised by some of the optical results though: http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/2470exl
Old Jan 31, 2006, 4:11 AM   #15

The thread opened with:

Quote:
How big is the difference between a L lens from canon and the sigma series of EX lenses. Its a fact that bodies come and go and lens stay longer. In that case why would we still search of sigma alternatives. A L lens is much robust and can stand any number of use. Are EX lenses built with the same quality.
Funny how the thread topics can be ignored in order that individuals may purely vent their own self defined topics.

Quote:
Are EX lenses built with the same quality.
You answered this question in the sentence directly prior. The answer is No

Canon are the market leaders, therefore they will be up there to be knocked down for as long as thats the case.

Especially so with eager beavers that are willing to search the web for examples. Of which I'm sure there are many.

Canon remain the number one seller of lenses to professional photographers and for that matter amateurs like-wise. For those pro's, its not because theywere born with money and holes in there pockets either. Build quality, reliability,transferability, compatibility, weather sealing, USM, IS, bokeh, contrast, and balance of all these elements, remainas potent a reason as image sharpness in their selection. Sharpness: a lensquality that remains hugely misunderstood by so many in photography. When its ultimately needed / when ultimately not. When and why its achieved / when and why not. Why Lens manufactures substitute/sacrifice small elements of one lensaspect to balance others. Another completely misunderstood science. Alsofinal sharpnessrequires computer assistance/manipulation in every case, by every photographer who is serious about the final images, irrespective ofwhat lens is used.A 0.2 percent increase in sharpness found in an individuals lens test of an off the shelf lens next to another off the shelf lens is hardly conclusive evidence of its general superior nature or performance.

As the forum question asks : differences between a L lens and the Sigma EX lens;

Over and above individual examples of a few or even less specificlens characteristics,the canon lens (L) system on a whole is of generally a higher quality (in all aspects) than the Sigma lens (EX) system.

Now its not by much, but it does exist and is accepted industry wide. Of course at these levels (high end lenses) this is difficult to achieve.Therefore thereis a high premium that some will pay some will not.

Sigma do not offer quitethe build quality, the USM, the IS or other features shown in the Canon range. In doing so they are able to offer their lenses at a significantly lower price. Thats good. Choice is good.

Make your decisions - be happy.

I really wonder if these questions get asked so often (or are daft enough to be argued about)regarding BMW's and Volkwagons in any motoring Forums.

I really doubt it.

ps read the lens reviews to at least page three. It considers the macro version in many cases.What conclusions can you take.. precisely none.. Many instances of good and bad. Anyway its a good example of deciding for yourself what lenses suit you by walking down to your local store and trying for yourself.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...t=37#poststart
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 12:34 PM   #16
NHL

LBoy wrote:
Quote:
I really wonder if these questions get asked so often (or are daft enough to be argued about)regarding BMW's and Volkwagons in any motoring Forums.

I really doubt it.
Kind of interesting you brought this up...

Actually I own both brand (just like the Canon's L and the Sigma EX) here too: My wife's TT is a 'souped' Beetle, and like the Sigma EX is a high-end brand in the Volkwagen AG line up!!! :-) :lol: :G

Do you have any Sigma EX, or just reading ???

Attached Images

Old Jan 31, 2006, 1:21 PM   #17

Two verynice cars... No argument there. :-):-):-):-)

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 2:48 PM   #18

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Actually I own both brand (just like the Canon's L and the Sigma EX) here too: My wife's TT is a 'souped' Beetle, and like the Sigma EX is a high-end brand in the Volkwagen AG line up!!! :-) :lol: :G

NHL - I think the relevent question is: which lens were you using (L or EX) to take that picture :|
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 7:29 PM   #19

I too had two cars that are built like bricks. You can knock them around and still come out with a good picture... Wife had the Avalon and son had the Honda.

H
Attached Images

bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote