Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:31 AM   #11

That is a very good action shot....I have been trying to get shots like that for my daughter. I have a canon rebel/using a canon 85MM F/1.8 and have been trying to get action shots without using a flash to not distract everyone and the kids playing. I have been using the settings.

ISO 1600, Aperture 1.8, Shutter 320-400, AF AI-servo, Metering - Evalutive metering. What were your settings on when this action shots was taken?

I have not been consistent with my bypod should I be.....
RICHANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:38 AM   #12

Hey Terry....

Here's some advice (sorry, a bit tongue in cheek!)

Why not wait for the market release of the new 85mm f1.2 ver II @ only $2100 which was announced yesterday! It's supposed to focus up to 1.8x as quick as the previous version of the 85mm f1.2.

And boy, it IS one fast lens!!!

OK.... maybe your budget might dictate not (as mine does...) but still we can dream!

Best wishes,

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:54 AM   #13

Paul,

I was considering the F1.2 but the depth of field would be so shallow I could only hold a flea in focus!

Thanks for the heads up on the fast lens!

Gee, I bought an old Fuji rangefinder film cam on ebay used for $20 including case with an F1.7 lens...

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 1:32 PM   #14

Terry,

well if you were "considering" it (the new $2100 canon super lens!) I apologise for grossly underestimating your budget and the bulge in your bank account!!

Yeah, maybe with that lens you could become a flea-shooter at f1.2 as you said!? ... and sell your photos to pest control folks for advertising purposes and for dog collars, etc!.... (can I get some commission for the idea?)

I have no idea what an " old Fuji rangefinder film cam including case with an F1.7 lens" is, but for $20 it sounds great!

All the best... and don't forget if you get that lens... then you must share your fleas with us, please!! :evil:

Paul :?

Old Feb 25, 2006, 6:58 PM   #15

Terry

You have seen my examples with the Canon 85 1.8. I couldnt be happier with it and if I had to do it all over again, I would buy it again.

The focus is about as fast as you can expect in a lens in this price range and the pictures are just sharp as heck. I find my best results in the f2.5/f2.8 range. If they come out of the camera a touch soft (a given), the unsharp mask fixes them right up!

I recommend the Canon, Terry. :-)
davidreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 7:32 PM   #16

I thinking about it as a birthday present to myself!

Got to wait until April though (I'm an Aries).
Old Feb 26, 2006, 2:57 PM   #17

Terry, nice sounding birthday present.... if you're thinking of adopting any nephews, I'd be happy to apply!! (and I'll PM you my wish list!) :blah:

I'm a Virgo.... (end of August) but you can also give mea late Christmas present or an early birthday present anytime!!

Paul :G (do you ship to Romania?) :?
Old Feb 26, 2006, 3:20 PM   #18

Sure, just let me know your wish list!
Old Feb 26, 2006, 4:58 PM   #19

Terry, ok - you're on!

Seeing as you're planning on getting one of those new Canon 85mm f1.2 lenses anyway, why not get two (if you can persuade the sales assistent, you might get a discount for buying two copies). And with that awesome aperture of 1.2 we couldBOTH be focusing on fleas! :-)

Then if you're really feeling generous... why not get me a new 30D, as a back up to my existing 350D / XT.

After all, you'll be making the world a better place, as I'm just a poor international charity / mission worker.... and my budget can't reach what my wish list is! Thanks! I'll email my address if you wish!! :G

You're DEFINITELY on my Christmas card mailing list now "uncle Terry", or should I call you "Father Christmas" (and to think I was almost finished believing Santa Claus really existed!!)

Paul
Old Feb 26, 2006, 8:05 PM   #20

I ordered the Canon 85mm F1.8 for my birthday