Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:39 PM   #21

I think you are ggoing to fall in love with it Terry! You have to post some shots. Where did you order it from?
davidreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:51 PM   #22

b&h photo video, of course.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 3:52 AM   #23

Hope you'll enjoy your lens Terry! Looking forward to seeing some photos you'll post from it.

By the way, of course I don't expect such big birthday presents from a stranger

All the best

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 2:08 PM   #24

I've been using the 85/1.8 with good results for basketball and volleyball. However, I sometimes am actually too close and cut off arms/legs, and occasionally end up too dark. I was considering the 50/1.4 - any advice on whether this would be better, or would I have trouble focusing? I'd like to avoid high ISOs for sharpness, so try to keep it to 400-800 range.
mdmmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 4:09 PM   #25

yea, I have that problem too at times.

My advice would be to pick up the thrifty 50 (50mm 1.8) I use this lens ALOT and I think you will be blown away with what you can produce with this cheapie lens.

If you dont like it, your out 70 bucks.

I think Terry will agree, that for the difference in $$ between the 50 1.8 and the 50 1.4, save your money and pick up the 1.8 I doubt you will be doing much shooting at 1.4 anyway

As for noise, I set up a custom noise profile and run 90% of my indoor sports images through Noiseware. It does a superior job of getting rid of the noise and keeping your imagfe natural looking, provided you dont crank up teh levels/.

davidreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 6:41 PM   #26

Congrats Terry and early Happy Birthday! I am looking forward to hearing your experiences and seeing your photos from your lens! I also have a birthday in April and am going to get the 580EX flash unit. I think I will have to wait a few more weeks though. Glad to see you ordered early enough to allow plenty of time for shipping!

Happy Shooting!

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote