Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 7, 2006, 7:44 PM   #1

I just ordered my Cannon 20D today and I'm thinking I should have read some of these post first. I ordered my camera with a Cannon 28-135mm IS USM lens. I am new to the SLR world and I don't want to make any costly mistakes. So did I make the right choice or should I have bought the 17-85mm lens for a all purpose lens.

Thanks,

Joe
joelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:08 PM   #2

Not know what your main photography interests are it is hard to say if this choice is a mistake or not. What you will have though is an equivalent of about a 45-216mm lens with the 20D, so you would be lacking at the short end for wide shots. The 17-85mm would have given you a 35mm equivalent of around 27-136mm which is probably a better focal range if it is going to be your only lens for a while. That is about the range you willfind on most point and shot digitals because it is a good all around range.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:14 PM   #3

You're going to love your new 20D. I bought the 17-85IS lens with mine a year and a half ago and find it a great combination. I also bought a 70-200 f/4L and the eos f/1.8.

My 17-85 stays on the camera most of the time. I don't think you've made a mistake, but you might want a wider lens later, depending on what kind of pix you take.

The 20D is really quick. It has served me well so far and will do so for a long time...
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:21 PM   #4

Asmyfirst lens I was looking for more telephoto then wide angle. Taking pictures of little league sports and animals in the wild. This lens is just a starter for me.

Thanks,

Joe
Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:25 PM   #5

When I do buy a wide angle lens how far into the lens range of the lens I have should I overlap in MM. If you know what I mean.

Thanks,

Joe

Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:14 PM   #6

I've never been a fan of the Canon 28-135mm IS lens as an everyday all purpose lens...although the IS is a very nice feature, I find this lens to be lacking on both the wide and telephoto end. For a single lens solution, I would have picked the Sigma 18-200mm...especially for an APS-C sensor DSLR like the 20D.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 7:59 AM   #7

Ah, the great thing about photography - lots of different ways to look at things. I have the 28-135 and, unlike Alpine, I DO like it as an all-around. By all acounts, the image quality between the 17-85 and 28-135 is about the same (not just sharpness, but overall quality). The first choice is which is more important: the reach of the 135mm or the wide end of the 17-85. That's a decision YOU have to make for yourself - dependent upon what you shoot. That aside, the 17-85 has a better IS system between the two which is a bonus. But, it is also an EF-S lens, meaning it won't work well on a full sized sensor. And, that bothers me a little. Other people are OK with it, but as we saw with the Nikon D200 and Canon 5d, full frame sensors on DSLRs are coming down in price. Who can say 5 years from now what camera bodies will have?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"As for a wide angle lens - I'd wait until you've used your new camera for a while before you worry about it. You may find that your shooting needs drive you away from wide angle and towards more telephoto. Even if you do require wide angle, you will have a better idea HOW WIDE you need - that's really more important than how much overlap there is. Is 17mm wide enough (like the 17-40mm) or do you need ultra-wide - like the 10-22. In either event, I wouldn't worry too much about the next lens just yet. Enjoy what you have and learn to use it to it's fullest!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:53 AM   #8
Super Moderator

D200 full frame?

All Nikon digital SLR cameras are 1.5 crop.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 9:06 AM   #9

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
D200 full frame?

All Nikon digital SLR cameras are 1.5 crop.
True enough! 1,000 pardons for my mistake

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 2:31 PM   #10

John thanks so much that is very sound advice.

Joe