Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:37 AM   #1
gmj

I bought my wife a Rebel XT with the kit lens about two weeks ago andhave been playing with it a little TOO MUCH.:P

I got my orders last night... GET YOUR OWN CAMERA. Now we have another XT! (mine's black).

We are both completely novice photographers.we doa lot of hiking and looking at wildlife. My wife has an interest in doing some macro photo's of flowersin her garden. I am more interested in wildlife and landscape photo's. I bought a canon 75-300 low end lens before I found the forum but have now seen the light, or rather the blur, and will be returning it for something with IS that will work in lower light conditions.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"At this point I am thinking about awide angle prime,some type of macro lens, andadecent telephoto.

The curveball is that we will spend a lot of time photographing together with the same set of equipment. (she macro while I use landscape or zoom or some other combination):?

At this point We have two camera's, one kit lens, and about $800.00 to spend. I realize that I can't afford high end optics for the money I have to spend, but would appreciate suggestions for a lens system.

gmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:19 PM   #2

I'd keep an eye out on eBay for a Canon 70-300, IS UMS. It should be withing your budget. The CanonL type lenses are quite expensive.I personally have the lens & love its flexibility & range. Between the 2 cameras you have 17-300MM covered. A 1.4X Tamron TC would increase the light gathering ability by 1f stop & thedegradation in quality the TC causesis debatable since it depends on what you do with the finished product.

Good luck & welcome to the digital world.
rlepik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 6:47 PM   #3
gmj

After spending the afternoon reading and learning I realize I will have to broaden the budget a bit. At this time I am considering (in order of purchase)

1. Canon 70-300 IS USM - basic wildlife

2. Canon 17- 85 IS USM - allaround, landscapes, ect.

3. Canon 50 mm 1.8 - seems like a good inexpensive lens to ad lower light ability and some indoors w/o flash on a budget.

4.This leaves me without a macro and at the top of the budget. Perhaps it will take us a while for our abilities to catch up before we need a macro. I would rather not buy twice. I want to buy the right lens once.

Please comment or make alternative suggestions that would keep me in the $1200.00 neighborhood.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:15 PM   #4

Sigma 18-50f2.8. Good general use lens plus reasonably fast.
Sigma 70-300APO Macro. Excellent value tele zoom though no IS. 'Macro' ability a plus. It's a much better lens than the 75-300 you have tried.
Good external flash.
Tripod. You'll need one to do any good macro work and will be useful for wildlife and landscape too.

With this set-up you sacrifice the IS on your lenses but save a lot of cash you can use to get a decent ball-head and tripod as well as a good flash.
The 18-50 is excellent and seems to me the ideal lens for my rebel. The 70-300 you will want to replace eventually, not because it's not good enough but because it's slow and it limits what you can shoot handheld in less than perfect light.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:58 PM   #5
gmj

Thank you for taking time to reply,

I like the Sigma 18-50 suggestion. I do not have any real experience to decide how important the IS feature would be to me in a wide angle lens. Any comments welcome.

Yes I have a tripod. Lightweight cheapo unit. We hike a long way for wildlife and the bag is going to get heavier soon!

I am still leading towards the cannon for the 70-300. I'm certain it is as much me as it is the lens, but I think I will benefit a lot from the IS compared to doing without on a telephoto. The only thing tempting about the sigma is the price.

Anyone have any opinion on the 50 mm prime I'm looking at, or a suggestion for a good short range indoor for use without a flash?

Old Feb 18, 2006, 7:20 AM   #6

If your shooting groups of people indoors in a small room, the 18mm wide end of your Sigma will probably do it for you.

I use a Tamron 17-35 for indoor stuff in tight situations.

If I'm in a large hall or auditorium, I'd use a 28-75 or longer.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 2:57 PM   #7
gmj

Even less cash left now!

I spent more than I was planning but I feel I have a versatle lens set for the two of us to do a range of shooting.

I ordered....

1. Canon 75-300 IS

2. Canon 17-85 IS

3. the Sigma recommended above.

I skipped the prime because of the sigma for lower light. I know the short zoom cannon and the sigma overlap a lot, but the sigma should do better in lower light, and I am going to have both camera'a in use, so overlap is kindof neccesary...?

Now I just need to get my hands on them!!!!!
Old Feb 18, 2006, 3:12 PM   #8

the newer canon 70-300 IS performs significantly better than the 75-300

but... what happened to macro requirement?
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:57 PM   #9
gmj

We will have to make do with the telephoto or short zoom and crop for now. I looked into "real" macro setups and started looking like it would cost close to $1000.0 for decent lens and flash.

The equipment I have on order is far better than our abilities at this point. The next 5-6 months will determine if we feel the need for a tru macro setup.

I am really excited about getting started and appreciate all who reply to the nebie questions, no matter how simple.

Thank You all