Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 19, 2006, 9:37 AM   #1

Newbie to DSLR pulling trigger on camera today. (Probably 350d, maybe 20d). Trying to hit best bang for the buck initially and get most tools to advance learning curve the quickest.

Wondering if this cheaper zoom lens (EF 75-300mm) in the $200 range would be good to learn the ropes or if it's just truly not up to par and I'll only be frustrated. Justification is, it's basically free with a bunch of Reward coupons and certificates I have saved up. Also, at less than $200, I can justify writing it off as beginner equipment that allowed me a fuller range of options in the early stage of learning curve. I can justify a $200 investment as a beginner lesson but CAN'T add another $500 today for what may be a more advised set of lenses. (One could argue, take same value in coupons and step up from Rebel to 20d.)

Finally, the old "what are you going to do?" From earlier posts, I'm realizing this won't be an action, sports, etc type of lens. Mostly, off-in-the-distance, "hey, what a cool barn" shots as I drive around all day. Step out of car, take some distant snaps and truck it on down the road. Maybe some attempts at basic little league baseball shots. General, beginner, distance shots.

USM? IS? Tripod and/or beanbag? Reading much but no experience yet. WOULD THIS ADDITION TO MY BAG HELP OR IS IT TRULY JUST A WASTE OF THE $200 WITHOUT THESE FOCUSING AND I.S. FEATURES?

leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2006, 5:43 PM   #2

I wouldn't get too bent out of join about buying a $200 telephoto lens.

I checked out the results on PBASE and this lens produces respectable images.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:12 AM   #3

I've read again and again that the Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO DG Macro outperforms all versions of the Canon 75-300mm lenses...and it's less than $200.

AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:15 AM   #4

i bought a 70-300mm tamron F4-5.6 for my 300d, better than canons 100-300 and 75-300, great images, bought it for $340 Australian or about $250 USD it also comes with a lens hood as standard. Most other brands tend the outperform in optics the 100-300 and 75-300 canons
The1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 9:49 PM   #5

leeraff wrote:
Quote:
Wondering if this cheaper zoom lens (EF 75-300mm) in the $200 range would be good to learn the ropes or if it's just truly not up to par and I'll only be frustrated.
Finally, the old "what are you going to do?" From earlier posts, I'm realizing this won't be an action, sports, etc type of lens. Mostly, off-in-the-distance, "hey, what a cool barn" shots as I drive around all day. Step out of car, take some distant snaps and truck it on down the road. Maybe some attempts at basic little league baseball shots. General, beginner, distance shots.

USM? IS? Tripod and/or beanbag? Reading much but no experience yet. WOULD THIS ADDITION TO MY BAG HELP OR IS IT TRULY JUST A WASTE OF THE $200 WITHOUT THESE FOCUSING AND I.S. FEATURES?
Quote:
This is actually a very sharp lens in the 75-200mm range, it gets a little less sharp at the 300 end but compensate by stopping the lens down a bit. If you do your part you can get professional quality images from it. The current version of this lens has USM focus so not sure what you mean. You dont need IS, just hold it steady.
Roboshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 6:13 AM   #6

I picked up theĀ*Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO DG Macro last week for AUD400, and am really happy with it (I don't have the equivalent Canon lens for comparative comment). The upshot is this: I am really happy with the images I am getting (using it with a 350D). Attached is a sample image -- forgive me in advance if the image is too big; I am not sure of etiquette wrt file size or image dimensions for doing this... Paul
Attached Images

Liegroupoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 2:39 PM   #7

I got the same lens for under $200 USD shipped and love it as well.
twkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 7:25 PM   #8

I have used the Sigma 70-300 F/4-5.6 APO zoom on my Canon 300d for over 2 years and it has been a work horse lens for me. I really like the results I get with it.
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote