Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 19, 2006, 1:04 PM   #1

Relating to DSLR I am a newbie so would like a little advice regarding which lens to buy.

I have a shortlist of three and it's definately one of these I will buy, Canon 17-40 f4L,

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, and Canon 28-105f4L, I know most people would probably buy the faster but heavier 24-70 f2.8L butas I can't afford a tele at the minute thought maybe the extra length on the 24-105 would be handy. Then I think the extra width on the 17-40f4L etc etc, I would say at present my needs would lean towards a quality walk round lens covering as much as can be possible with my final choice.

I would welcome any advice on this decision please.

Rico.
Gypsyrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2006, 9:34 AM   #2

Welcome aboard,

You didn't mention what camera you have so I'll assume it's an XT or 20D. If so, you have a 1.6framewith those models. So multiply your focal lengths by 1.6 to get the true focal lenght. For example your 24x70 functions as a 38.4 - 112 as compared to the same lens on a full frame camera.

Myadvice would be this...

If your needs were for lower light or faster shutter speedsgo with the f/2.8.
Indoor sports for example.

If you were shooting a fair amount of landscapes, then wider is better.

Is there a local store where you can look through each choice before you buy?

Now, on the other hand, if you are going to stay with "L" glass and do plan on getting a tele down the road, (expensive option). The tele of choice by most folks is the 70-200 f/2.8 L. Ifyou planned onthis lens, thenthe 24 - 105 wouldn't be as important for the reach it would give you now.

A nice rounding of lenses for the XT or 20D IMHO (I know you can't swing this now, but thinking longer term) EF-S 10-22 (not a full frame lens if you change cameras but still a great lens).24-70 f/2.8L and the 70-200 f/2.8 L (then throw in the 1.4x tele-converter and your 70-200 has the effective reach of a 157 - 448).

Takingfuture plans into account and without knowing what your exact needs are, I'd probably go with the 24-70 f/2.8 myself and perhaps get the 1.4 now also. This wouldbe like having a 38-112 w/out the 1.4 or a54-157 with it.

Hope this helps,
Joe

jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 9:42 AM   #3
Administrator

You may have better luck getting more responses in our Canon Lenses Forum , where you'll find lots of friendly Canon DSLR owners willing to offer advise and opinions on lens choices. Of course, not everyone will agree as to what is the best option. You'll have to weigh focal range, size, weight, cost, optical quality, etc., and decide what's best for you. There are pros and cons to any choice.

So, I went ahead and moved this thread there for you.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 9:48 AM   #4
DBB

You might also consider that third parties make some superb glass for your camera, at a signifigant cost saving.

Personally I own the Tamron 28-105, 2.8, and it's just as good as anything out there. This lens had quality control problems, but these appear to be over.

Sigma also makes some good glass as does Tokina.

Certainly after looking at a model you should search the Web for reviews, but third party lenses can certainly be up there in quality.

NB. All things being equal - Canon (or Nikon) make better glass then the third parties - But this is not always true, and more often then not the differnece is minor.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 9:56 AM   #5
Administrator

DBB wrote:
Quote:
Personally I own the Tamron 28-105, 2.8, and it's just as good as anything out there. This lens had quality control problems, but these appear to be over.
Dave:

Out of curiosity, what kind of QC problems did the 28-105mm f/2.8 have, and what impact did they have on things like AF?

I was just participating in a thread on another forum, where someone has BF with this lens on a KM DSLR (but other lenses test fine with the camera).

I've got the older Tamron 35-105mm f/2.8 for use on a KM 5D (which is sharper at all focal lengths and apertures compared to the newer 28-105mm f/2.8 according to MTF tests at http://www.photodo.com )

I have not been particularly thrilled with it's peformance in low light (although a stop down is acceptable), and I probably won't use it wide open much, unless I'm on the longer end of the lens, which seems to be better for both AF reliability and sharpness. I don't know how much the two lenses share in common (mine is the predecessor to the 28-105mm f/2.8 , with less lofty design goals for focal range).

The KM DSLR owner with a BF problem is using the newer 28-105mm f/2.8 (and his other lenses work fine, using controlled conditions to test for BF). Could the QC issues you mentioned be causing it?

My Tamron 35-105mm f/2.8 seems a bit inconsistent on it's wide end, too testing for BF in controlled conditions in lower light (I used some books spaced to test mine),

My only theory is that it's softness wide open could be influencing AF accuracy (and it's worse on the wide angle end of the lens). Mine also has an odd graph, looking at the MTF Charts on it's wide end at larger apertures (35mm at f/2.8 ), with better sharpenss just outside of center there (which could be giving the appearance of some BF due to it being slightly sharper outside of center).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 12:26 PM   #6

Some great advice fellows, thanks a lot. I won't be doing any indoor sports but intend in the future to do quite a lot of rugby league action, usually in low light, winter afternoons etc, so the wider the aperture the better for that.

My camera body is a 20D, and I am so much looking forward to getting going with it.

I've got my mind set on the 70-200mm f2.8L, so I'll just wait until my pocket has enough in it to buy it.

Rico.
Gypsyrico is offline   Reply With Quote