Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 21, 2006, 8:58 AM   #1

Hi!

I want to buy a new midzoom lens in a while. Well I've allready got the XT kitlens and the terrific Sigma 100-300 F4, now I would like a F2.8 zoomlens.

The Sigma 24-70 F2.8 is the range that I would really like. The Canon L version is way to expensive (for me).
But here's the deal, I like my Sigma telelens so much and the HSM is great! I would like there to be HSM in the Sigma 24-70 lens (and internal focussing!). Why aren't there more Sigma (EX) lenses that have these specifications?

Sigma has got so many (new) lenses (about all of them NON-EX), but rarely they are equiped with HSM. Am I missing something? Is it technically not possible, I'm gladly willing to pay €100,- extra for the HSM

Sigma wake up!
Timberland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:44 AM   #2

I'd love to have more EX lenses as well. My guess is, Sigma is concentrating on the entry level market and trying to increase their presence with all the people buying entry level DSLRs with no previous SLR experience. So, they want good quality optical performance over key focal ranges at a considerably lower price than Nikon, Canon etc. Well, you have to cut costs somewhere. Focus speed is a good place as it isn't something as noticeable as say a fast focusing camera with vignetting throughout. I also agree with your specific reference to the 24-70. It's slow focusing is kind of counterproductive for a desire to have a 2.8 lens in that range.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 6:14 PM   #3

I have the older verson of the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX. I don't think there is much difference in the focus speed from it as there is with my Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 that has HSM. It is a great lens like all my Sigma EX lenses and even the couple of non EX lenses that I have. I can only assume the newer DG version of the 24-70 is just as fast or faster than mine.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 1:40 AM   #4

Sigma could give us the oppertunity to choose. You could buy a cheaper non-HSM version and a HSM version of a couple of EX lenses. HSM is great and I would love to see internal, quiet en superfast focussing in Sigmas' 24-70 lens (and maybe a couple of other lenses as well).
Timberland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 3:24 AM   #5

The 18-50f2.8 focusses pretty fast. The elements don't have to move that far so I doubt hsm would make a huge difference. The 70-300 on the other hand takes forever if it misses focus and has to wind all the way down and back up again. I'd love an hsmed version of that, especially if hsm meant the front element didn't rotate. With sigma's pricing it would probably still be half the cost of a canon 70-300IS or 70-200f4L.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote