Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 21, 2006, 1:44 PM   #1

Hello all!

Only my 2nd post but this is an extension of "which camera should I buy" from a few months ago.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=87

If you happened to be part of that discussion, my many thanks for helping me decide. In the end, I am choosing to go with the Rebel XT over the KM 5D mainly because all my friends/workers that are weekend photographers have Canon's (5D and 20D) and I thought the learning process may be easier with a camera they were familiar with, shouldIhave questions. The KM 5D and XT pretty much sounded like a toss up to me other than price, there seemed to be many fans of both cameras and I don't think one is far inferior than the other. Plus, I have always been partial to Canon's color reproduction. So I have made the cameradecision.

Now the issue is what lens to use for my safari? My friend has the Canon 100-400 IS which I refuse to borrow in fear I may damage it on my trip. I have set my eyes on the following two lenses and didn't know much about them. I did a search for the Canon lens but did not find anything specific about it.

Peripatetic, if you're out there, I think you said this Canon lens was not very good, but would like to make sure a second time. I think you might have been referring to the 75-300mm, but I wasn't sure. Here are the lenses...

1. Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus

2. Sigma Zoom Telephoto 100-300mm F/4.0 EX IF HSM Autofocus

The Sigma is a bit higher in price (~$400) and I would prefer the Canon lens if it works for my safari trip. In addition, the Canon has IS which is something I want.However, if this lens is completely garbage, I would pay extra for the sigma and potentially get the KM 5d for the anti shake. This could be another option.

Then again, any other suggestions for a Telephoto Zoom lens for less than $1000?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Warren
hwalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2006, 2:07 PM   #2
NHL

hwalin wrote:
Quote:
... However, if this lens is completely garbage, I would pay extra for the sigma.
Complete garbage hey? http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...471555#p471555

-> Just double check the Sigma 100-300 f/4 EX MTF vs the Canon 300 f/4L prime

Actually the new EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS is quite sharp, but is a stop slower @ 300mm - So you do get more glass (and metal) in the Sigma for the additional $ since the larger aperture is the ratio of the lens opening over its focal lenght

You can also go to 400 f/5.6 with a TC and still maintain AF with the Sigma EX, but not the Canon: http://www.naturephotographers.net/je1001-2.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 2:25 PM   #3

Thanks for the post NHL. I didn't find that one. Just to be clear, I wasn't saying the Canon was garbage. I just had not seen it highly recommended yet and wanted to "verify" it wasn't garbage.:-) A good all around lens is fine with me, I would just like to understand the limitations I may be facing regarding my choices with the lenses.

In any case, it sounds like the Canon might be a good value for what I am looking for. Thanks for the reply!

Warren
hwalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 3:11 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I think the new Canon 70-300 would work nicely for you.

300mm is just about the minimum you will need for safari work, and it is a very nice general purpose lens when you get back home.

Optically the Sigma is superb, but you lose the IS. It depends a bit on the kind of shooting you will do, but when bouncing around on the back of a jeep I would favour the IS somewhat.

On the other hand, if you can afford the Sigma plus a 1.4x teleconverter that will allow you to go to 420mm and still retain AF. But it is bigger and heavier, I'm afraid there's not really any perfect choice here. Of course you can add a teleconverter with the Canon lens too, but you will lose AF - still it might be worth considering.

I personally think the 70-300 is a nice match for the XT, you did get it with the 17-85 right? And as a 2-lens kit those two lenses just seem "right" somehow!
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 4:38 PM   #5
NHL

Unless you're after saving weight, I personally go for the faster lens over IS any day (you'll need it!):
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...471832#p471832

May be I'm old fashioned but I prefer a metal lens barrel as well as able to shoot with a 1.4x when needed with full AF (for thoses action shots)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote