Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 27, 2006, 8:56 AM   #11
NHL

Not this one!

It's not a real macro (i.e. 1:1) - but closer focus... with HSM (higher magnification than the old EX or Canon's)
NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 9:55 PM   #12

I would like to thank EVERYBODY, for their input. VERY, VERY, helpful. I went ahead and bought the 'Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX DG/HSM', & 'Canon EF 135mm 2.0L' & ' Canon 85mm f1.8 USM EF Lens' . I hope I'm headed in the right direction. Anyway, I'm sue I will have MANY, MANY, more questions. Thanks for all the help EVERYONE. P.S. .....More money than Brains.
sooner7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:21 PM   #13

I wish I had your problem
davidreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:30 PM   #14

NHL:

I see the new lens you refer to on the Sigma website, but not at any resellers. Do you have any details as to price or date of availability? Thanks.
gordonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 3:36 PM   #15

Hey everybody. I have my new lens and I was just woundering if anybody could give me some starting points as to setting my camera with each of these lens? I'm not sure if I said, but the camera is a Rebel 300D. I will be shooting in a gym with less than adequate lighting, but it's like any other gym. I would like to take all 3 of my new lens and use each one to try out. Can I get some input as far as settings, that would save me a lot of time. Also, did I mess up and buy the wrong camera body 2yrs ago? Will this 300D give me what I want with these lens? If I could get photos like the ones [email protected] gave me a link to, I would be thrilled, beyound words.

Again, Thanks too EVERYBODY, Ya'll have really help.

Terry
sooner7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 4:12 PM   #16

Contratulations - Iwish I had all you have to work with!

All 3 should work well with the 300D, though the zoom may seem a bit heavy on that body. If you find that you have adequate light, youmay find the zoom to be the most convenient, since you won't be so dependent on your distance from the action as you would bewith the primes.

Set the ISO to 1600. Shoot in Tv (shutter priority) mode, and set a shutterspeed of 1/500 second, which is adequate to stop most action. Take a shot, and examine the image and the histogram. If the image is plenty light enough, and the histogram is biased to the right, or at least not clipping on the left, then you might try lowering the ISO to 800 or even 400. Experiment. There is probably 2 to 3 stops difference in lighting between the darkest and lightest gyms. If your images @ 1600, 2.8, 1/500 are too dark, then you will have to use the primes, which will allow you to take brighter images, since their max. apertures are larger than the zoom's 2.8. Keep in mind, though, that the larger the aperture, the shallower the depth of field, so you may indeed run into focus issues with larger apertures, even 2.8.

You may be bothered by noise in images shot at the higher ISOs, depending on what you want to do with the images. You can use any of the available noise-reduction programs (e.g. NeatImage, Noise Ninja) if you want to get serious about cleaning them up.

I hope these suggestions help you get started. Have fun!

gordonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:52 PM   #17

No one mentioned the obvious, but a monopod is a great investment for action photography. Wether you are standing or sitting you can keep the camara close to eye level and ready to shoot. & ithelps keep the camara steady.
jcepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 12:13 PM   #18

jcepp wrote:
Quote:
No one mentioned the obvious, but a monopod is a great investment for action photography. Wether you are standing or sitting you can keep the camara close to eye level and ready to shoot. & ithelps keep the camara steady.
What would be a good light monopod to get? I am concerned about weight and stability.

harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 12:21 PM   #19

harana,

I can recommend the Bogen 679b as a great monopod. It's fairly light but has no problem supporting my 20d with grip and Sigma 120-300 2.8 lens. One word of warning: when I research monopods a couple years ago, I found a number of people recommending some of the more load bearing Bogens. Well, I went to a camera store that had them and I'm glad I did. Some of these things are monsterous clubs - I mean you could kill an elephant with one. Too large and cumbersome IMO for the types of lenses I was going to use.

The 679 was the right diameter to also work as a hiking stick (If I so chose). I've been happy with it for 2 years.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 2:25 PM   #20

suddenly I have a visual of John chasing elephants around with a monopod .....
davidreeves is offline   Reply With Quote