Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:56 PM   #1

AWESOME SITE!.........Great advise from almost everone.

Here's my problem, Canon Rebel, blury shots during the game without flash. been hearing about the 70-200 Canon lens, think this might be the lens for me, but, not sure. some shots might be 100 feet away or 20. I've seen some of the 85mm examples and thry are awesome. Would that lens work for my Daughters games or am I way off track? Also, Haven't read much about the 135mm lens, could it work?

Thanks for any input
sooner7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2006, 11:29 PM   #2

I have both the 70-200mm f/2.8 and the 85 f/1.8 and have used both at my girls volleyball games. The lens I usually end up using though it my 24-70mm f/2.8, but then where her games are are pretty small and I'm usually court side. You didn't say if your rebel is digital or not but I'm assuming it is, so the 24-70mm would be about a 38-112mm equivalent.The 85mm isfaster and wouldbe easier to stop the action if the focal length will work for you. If you have a zoom, say a 75-300mm you can use it to test out some different focal lenghts, set on 85mm and see if that will work for you. You might even think about the canon 50mm f/1.8, it is a great low light lens and for the price everyone should have one in their bag.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 4:08 PM   #3

I find if I shoot wider than F2.8, I lose depth of field, and some of my shots turn out to be out of focus.

I tend to prefocus my shots, so by time I shoot, the person might have moved a little.

However, an 85mm F1.8 or 50mm F1.8 lens will still do it for you, and it's always nice to have the extra aperture.

If your shots are blurry, chances are you haven't set your shutter speed and ISO correctly. Make sure you use max ISO1600, and set your shutter speed at 1/250th.

You can set your shutter speed by using shutter priority. Check it out in your camera manual.

Now, given you're shooting at ISO1600 and 1/250th, your camera will select an aperture. Chances are, it will try to select an aperture somewhere between about F2 and F4, depending on the available light.

If you have a lens with a max aperture of F2.8, you should be aok and your shots should turn out bright and in focus.

If you can't get court side, surely a 70-200 F2.8 lens will give you all the flexibility you need. I believe Sigma sells a Canon-ready 70-200 F2.8 for about $800.

For less money you can get good results with the 85mm, and even less money, the 50mm lens suggested. However, having a zoom is a more flexible option by far.

Anyways, happy shooting!

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 1:48 PM   #4

The camera is a rebel EOS. I tried to set the shutter to 1/250 and the ISO to 1600. The pictures are stil TOO dark and blured. My zoom lens is a Quantary 70-300mm 1:4-5.6, and my normal lens is a Canon EFS 18-55mm. I'm shooting anywhere from court side to the bleachers. I was hoping I could get a black and white answer for my problem, but I'm finding out that it's not that simple. I thank everbody for there input and time.

Thanks,
Terry
sooner7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 1:53 PM   #5

Yah, your problem is the Quantary lens. It doesn't let enough light into the camera so your images are dark.

You need a lens that will let more light in.

Try the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 XR DI (around $330) or the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (around $850)

These are online prices.

You could also try a Canon 50mm F1.8 lens (around $80).

Forget the Quantaray for indoor. The kit lens should have been a little better.

-- Terry
Old Feb 26, 2006, 1:58 PM   #6

Here's a guy getting great results indoors:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...jump_to=475232

He's using a rebel XT, a Canon 85mm F1.8 lens (about a $400 lens).

It took him a few tries but he got on top of it.

Terry

Old Feb 26, 2006, 2:05 PM   #7

FYI - the Sigma 70-200 2.8 is $724.95 plus shipping ($12-25) @ http://www.sigma4less.com
gordonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 7:04 PM   #8

sooner7 wrote:
Quote:
The camera is a rebel EOS. I tried to set the shutter to 1/250 and the ISO to 1600. The pictures are stil TOO dark and blured. My zoom lens is a Quantary 70-300mm 1:4-5.6, and my normal lens is a Canon EFS 18-55mm. I'm shooting anywhere from court side to the bleachers. I was hoping I could get a black and white answer for my problem, but I'm finding out that it's not that simple. I thank everbody for there input and time.

Thanks,
Terry
As Tery mentioned, the main problem is your lens. To get good sports shots, you need a fast enough shutter speed to freeze the action. Without the aid of flash that is usually 1/400 or higher. Any lower and you get motion blur - how much depends on how fast moving the action is. Now, at low ISOs you can deliberately underexpose a shot to get a higher shutter speed and correct exposure in software. However, at high ISOs, the resulting noise tends to really damage the photo too much. The higher the ISO the more you need to nail the exposure. So, with your current setup - set the camera to ISO 1600 and set the camera to aperture priority with an aperture of 5.6. Take a couple test shots - If they are properly exposed, then stop. If they're not, then enter some positive EC until they are. Don't worry about motion blur at this point - we just want to find out what aperture you will need to get a shutter speed of 1/400 or better. With an ISO of 1600, it may be that 2.8 just isn't fast enough - which means any of the zoom lenses suggested will fall short of the mark. But it may be that it is enough. Fortunately we should be able to calculate that with the EXIF info from your test shot. Take the shot and post the ISO, aperture and shutter speed and we can figure out if a f2.8 lens will be fast enough for your needs.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 6:56 AM   #9
NHL

gordonj wrote:
Quote:
FYI - the Sigma 70-200 2.8 is $724.95 plus shipping
I would concur with this recommendation however, If you don't mind waiting there's a new 70-200 2.8 EX DG Macro HSM. IMO it's even a greater lens now with close-up ability - Might save you another purchase or a lens change down the road!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 9:23 AM   #10

My understanding is that Macro lenses generally tend to be slower to focus that non macro lenses, making them a less than ideal choice for sports shooting.

I personally do not know this to be the case but I have read that a time or two ....
davidreeves is offline   Reply With Quote