Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 25, 2006, 2:52 PM   #1

Hi,

i have decided to step up from p&s cameras, and decided to go for the Rebel XT. could someone help me with the choice of lenses. this is what i know so far. the rebel can be purchsed with or without the lens, if you get it with the lens it would be the EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 zoom lens. However, i just read on Canon page that the EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens is the perfect lens for this camera? i know the latter lens has an image stalizer, but its also a bit larger. anyone know more about this, like i said, im very new to dSLRs.

should i get the bundled 18-55 lens or get the body seperate and get the 17-85, looking especially on image quality differences, zoom??? better?. Also, is it a good time to get a rebel xt now, or will there be a new version out soon, maybe wait?

would really appreciate any responses, thanks!

Bonefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2006, 3:58 PM   #2

i'm in the middle of the same decision you are - finally about to take the plunge (and spend the big $$!!) to get a DSLR. i've looked around and read reviews and so on, and have about decided on the 17-85 as my first choice for a general purpose lens. it has the IS, plus a bit more zoom range, and by all accounts, it's a MUCH better lens optically. most kit lenses are made to be sold cheap, not for the best optics. the 18-55 is, from what i've heard, not bad as kit lenses go, but it's still nowhere near the caliber of the better-grade lenses Canon offers. the downside of the 17-85 is its price... at $450-500, it ain't cheap, even though it's less than half the price of the comparable "L" series lens! at the end of the day, it's a matter of what you can afford, but i'd recommend getting the best optics you can afford. a good camera with cheap lenses will produce the same results as a cheap camera... but even an inexpensive (relatively speaking) camera with good glass will give you outstanding results...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 4:14 PM   #3

The Canon "kit" lens of 18-55 is a good lens but not a great lens.

The Canon 17-85, with IS (image stabilization) is a great lens.

It has extra "reach" at the 85mm end, and the image stabiliation lets you get some nice low light shots.

Given the 17-85 is an F4 max aperture lens, I would not call it a "great" sportshooter's lens, but a good one.

You should be able to get a good deal on a rebel with the 17-85 as a "Kit". Check out B&H photo video website.

I'd say it's a great idea to get a rebel XT now.

Given the 20D (its upmarket brethren) just got replaced with a 30D, with no noticeable improvement in the sensor, it's doubtful Canon will replace the XT with anything significant in the near future (just my opinion).

When your buying into Canon, your buying into a "system". You'll be hoping that someday you can upgrade your camera body and bring your lenses along with you to your new camera.

The Rebel XT should have good used resale value, and hopefully you can use your lenses with a new camera body in a few years time, assuming your interest blossoms and your pocketbook gets larger.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 8:50 PM   #4

thank you both for your replies. Actually right after i made the initial posting i went over to the two closest camera stores here in honolulu too look at the lens(es). Ritz camera person said that the Canon EF-S 17-85mm was ok, but recomended the Quantaray 18-125mm instead. He said that the images of the Canon lens were too soft, and that the Quantarey lens produced clearer/more detailed images. specifically according to him, you could identify specific eye-lashes with that, Canon would just blur everything up.

the other camers store i went to told me that the Canon lens was much better, maybe it have to do with bias. so now im back posting at steve's forum to get unbiased responses anyone here tried the quantarat lenses compared to the Canon ones???

and you are right about the 30D, i read the reviews about that one, and there didnt seem to be any real difference between the two.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:04 PM   #5

I would not buy the Quantaray, personally.

However, check out prices at B&H photo video.

Usually you can buy cameras cheaper online, and B&H is reputable.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:43 PM   #6

I can't compare to the Quantarray, but anyone who says the Canon is too soft is doing something wrong. Maybe they don't realize that you have to sharpen almost all pics out of the 20D due to the way the sensor works. Anyways, I think the 17-85 IS is a good choice for a walkaround. They might make more selling the Quantarray than the Canon since Quantarray is Ritz's own brand...

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:38 PM   #7

thanks for your replies, and i do take your word over ritz ill probably go with the EF-S 17-85mm after reading about it. what i have understood is that is a very good lens, but that it has a few problems in the range 17-28mm, but i will probably not even notice that. it has gotten far better reviews than the EFS 17-55mm bundled lens, and i dont think i will be disappointed at all. good review about it here

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

also been looking at many many pictures from pbase.com taken with the EF-S 17-85mm lens, and i bet many of them are taken at max17mm, and i dont see any problems with those images at all. The 17-85 lens (what i have read about) is better if you plan to use filters, since the outmost part does not move? Good thing since i will use a polarizer expecially when fishing in tropical areas.

let me know if there are any other reason why i should or should not purchase this lens. and thanks terry for pointing out that its avalible bundle now, i saw some good offers through the online dealers, B&H was one of them.

L
Old Feb 25, 2006, 11:08 PM   #8

just read about the new EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 is usm lens that will be avalible in about a month, maybe worth waiting for that one since canon apparently have solved the issue that the 17-85 experienced at wide angle