Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 27, 2006, 2:50 PM   #1

a while back, i posted asking whether there was any appreciable difference between the EF-S 17-85 IS USM and the 28-135; you guys offered lots of good info. since then, i've been doing a little more digging, and was wondering, how does the EF-S 17-85 compare to the 24-105 f4L? i know the "L" is a bit faster, and offers longer reach, which isn't a major consideration, but how much difference is there in image quality? i've heard some folks say the EF-S 17-85 isas close toan "L" lens as makes no difference, and others complained about CA or softness, especiallyat the wide open settings. since this will be used mainly as a 'walkabout' lens for things like scenery, flowers, etc., and for some serious landscape use where i want to capture all the beauty of scenic spots i can only rarely visit, i want good sharpness and clarity, and minimal softness in the corners. is the "L" lens appreciably better in that regard, and could anyone tell the difference looking at an 11x14 or12x18 print?

i'm hoping all you experienced Canon shooters out there can help me narrow down my choices!thanks in advance for your advice and comments...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2006, 6:51 PM   #2

Let me know what you choose squirl033, im in the same boat as you. I was originally set upon getting the EF-S 17-85 IS, but even though lots of people like this lens lots of people dont like it. mainly forthe reasons you mentioned, now i dont know anymore, its a tough one. went to a local Canon store today tolook at the EF 17-40 f/4 L lens, which i wastold was way better than the 17-85 and costs pretty much the same. (not inthat store but online)However,that one didnt come with IS, im not sure how important that is. i wish i could see some landscape comparisons between these two lenses. I have never used IS ina lens or camerabefore, maybe its better to go with a lens with good image quality and IS, than to go for a lens with superior image quality without IS?

One thing i have understood though isthat the 17-85 is way better than then bundled 18-55. also read alot of review form people who have been in the situation you and me are in (rebel XT + want a better lens) who have gotten the 17-85 IS, then been disatisfied with it and gotten the 17-40L lens (2 out of 5 review on B&H photo video) said this.

Maybe some experienced users that have tested these lenses would like to mention something about the 17-40L as well when responding to your thread. i know it has less zoom than the 17-85, but i barely use zoom anyways, think ive used it less than 1% of the time when using P&S cameras; a great zoom lens you can always get later.

check out this landscape image, its taken with the EF 17-40 f/4"L" lens, using a 5D.

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos5d/do.../landscape.jpg

id like to see what people say about your potential L lens as well, however, its way more expensive than both the 17-85 and the 17-40L
Bonefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 7:35 PM   #3

I have the 17-85 and the 24-105L. I did lens testing between the two lenses. The 17-85 outperformed the 24-105L. I returned 24-105L three times, because each time I did the lens test, the 17-85 was superior. I also used the 28-135 and the 18-55 lenses in these tests. In all tests the 24-105L came out the loser.
Sawyer Duvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 5:28 PM   #4

I reckon you must have got a bad one Sawer as the 24 - 105mm L is without doubt a lot better than the others you mention, of course only IMHO.
Gypsyrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 5:34 PM   #5

I agree that I got a bac lens. My problem is getting Canon to make it right -- either fix it or replace it.
Sawyer Duvall is offline   Reply With Quote