Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:04 AM   #1

there is a thread on both these lenses already, and I've read countless reviews, but I keep getting mixed views about both lenses... but I realy want to be sure to by because as Im sure alot of you will appreciate, £900 is alot of money

anyway, I'm mainly a live band photographer, dont get alot of paid work but I enjoy it and I consider myself ok at it (username for url :P)....

but I realy need a faster lens, preferably one thats quite wide with a bit of range.. so I was thinking 24-70 2.8 (because of the range and fstop)....

but their is a big price diffrence, so can some people give me examples of good and bad points of each lens? and maybe some photos.

oh I use a Canon Eos 300d

Help, Realy Appreciated.

---------------------------

off topic, I cant make an Avatar thats 15kb :P
stuartmoffat.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:35 AM   #2
NHL

The difference are mainly in the USM vs non-USM, the extra cost of the Canon is toward the edge on a full-frame, but you're with a 300D which crops theses peripheral vision out anyway:
http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/2470exl

When you're in the dark especially in low contrast areas any lens will have focusing problem - I highly recommend the AF infrared focusing beam from the flash only for theses situations (You just don't use the flash output), much more reasonable than an ST-E2...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:15 AM   #3

thanks for that NHL.....

I have a 550ex, which helps me with focusing alot, and I sometimes focus with it, turn it off then take a shot!... but I realy think I'm gona go with the Canon this time... I know its Treble the price, but Ive not realy heard anything bad about it, where as the sigma gets quite alot of stick.......

if anyone wants to try and change my mind please do
stuartmoffat.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:21 AM   #4
NHL

stuartmoffat.com wrote:
Quote:
I have a 550ex, which helps me with focusing alot, and I sometimes focus with it, turn it off then take a shot!...
You can use black masking tape for this - lot cheaper than an ST-E2 and you don't need to turn the flash off!
-> Set the 550EX on wireless with the Master flash disabled (you'll save a lot of battery this way as well)
Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:54 AM   #5

It's a wonder no one makes a black plastic cap (like the diffuser) that you could slip on and off quickly.

Does the ST-E2 work on any EOS camera or only the high end?

mrcoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:36 AM   #6
NHL

mrcoons wrote:
Quote:
Does the ST-E2 work on any EOS camera or only the high end?
It works on every Canon (type B) cameras

-> A better deal would be the Sigma EF 500 DG Super:
1. It costs the same as an ST-E2
2. You can always use the Sigma as a slave to your existing flash...
3. More powerful than a 430/420 EX and unlike the formers, double as a master as well!

Quote:
It's a wonder no one makes a black plastic cap (like the diffuser) that you could slip on and off quickly.
What's wrong with black paint? :idea:
Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:06 PM   #7

I'd been looking at the Sigma EF 500 DG Super to use with my 420EX.

Paint is a little permanent, isn't it? :-)
Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:15 PM   #8

NHL wrote:
Quote:
-> A better deal would be the Sigma EF 500 DG Super:
1. It costs the same as an ST-E2
2. You can always use the Sigma as a slave to your existing flash...
3. More powerful than a 430/420 EX and unlike the formers, double as a master as well!
In regards to the original post of low light focusing and this train of thought of just using focus assist beam - have you found a way to use the beam without the flash actually firing? I realize you could aim the flash away if you don't want it's light but if you're in a venue that does not allow flash photography the assist light on the Sigma isn't of much use. I'd love to know

I second the recommendation as a great flash, but don't know how you use it just for the assist. For that matter, I don't know if the Canon EX flashes allow it either.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:17 PM   #9

NHL wrote:
Quote:
stuartmoffat.com wrote:
Quote:
I have a 550ex, which helps me with focusing alot, and I sometimes focus with it, turn it off then take a shot!...
You can use black masking tape for this - lot cheaper than an ST-E2 and you don't need to turn the flash off!
-> Set the 550EX on wireless with the Master flash disabled (you'll save a lot of battery this way as well)
I'll try black tape as NHL suggests.

Old Mar 7, 2006, 2:09 PM   #10
NHL

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
In regards to the original post of low light focusing and this train of thought of just using focus assist beam - have you found a way to use the beam without the flash actually firing? I realize you could aim the flash away if you don't want it's light but if you're in a venue that does not allow flash photography the assist light on the Sigma isn't of much use. I'd love to know
Quite simple really...

When the Sigma (or 550/580EX) is in the wireless Master mode, you have the option to turn the Master output off - Problem is even though the Master does not contribute to the overall lighting, it still pre-flash to control the other slaves (which then output the main lights) :shock:

Since everyone is only using the IR focusing beam only on the flash to assist the camera focus, just tape off the flash or use a blackout Toffen (with black paint) diffuser! :idea:

-> The reason you want to do this in the wireless Master OFF, is there's no recycle time involved, if you do this in any other mode you'll be waiting for a long time for the flash to recharge (:|)