Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 6, 2006, 6:49 AM   #1

I need a fast standard zoom to my 20D. It will be used for indoor sports, etc. I already have a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 that performs very well.

The choice is between:
  • The Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, but the re-chip thing with 20D and the lack of USM/HSM doesn't sound to good [/*]
  • The Canon 24-70L f/2.8 USM - expensive but propably worth the money? [/*]
  • The Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM -thatis not in stores until May. It is a bit cheaper than the Canon 24-70L but do you think it will be worth waiting for?[/*]
I hope you got some good advice!! -kabl
kabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2006, 7:29 AM   #2

Here's my two cents:

Sigma 24-70. I have heard reports of poor low-light focusing with this lens. While a number of people use the lens and seem to like it, I haven't been able to find someone who successfully uses it for indoor sports. The lack of HSM is a big alarm bell for me on this one.

Canon 17-55. Since it isn't out yet, it's hard to comment on quality. The question here is - what sports are you shooting? I'm not sure how useful the focal range would be for sports - especially below 50mm.

Canon 24-70. It's the top of the line performer for overall pic quality in that zoom range (not just sharpness, but lack of CA and distortion, color, etc) and focus speed. Is it worth the extra $$ ? Only you can decide that.

You mention you have the Sigma 70-200 2.8. So, since these are all 2.8 lenses, I'm assuming you're getting fast enough shutter speeds with the Sigma yet it's too long at 70mm - right? What sports are you shooting where the 70mm is too long?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 7:41 AM   #3

Thanks for the comments, JohnG!

I mostly do team handball (a big thing here). I often find myself really close to the action, not more than a coople of meters from the players... And stepping back is not an option as there are spectators, nets, etc coming in my way then.

Same when shooting skateboard-competions on the ramp and karate/taekwondo fights...

But you might be right that perhaps 55mm is just too small...?
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:23 AM   #4
NHL

kabl

How about the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX? - It does come with HSM and is about right for the focal lenght
You don't really need a zoom here for theses events... :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:09 AM   #5

That sounds like a great idea

Or what about the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM?
Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:27 AM   #6
NHL

I have the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, but I believe your money will be better spend on the 50mm f/1.8 without the USM!

-> you can still get the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX and the 50mm f/1.8 for what it goes for (cheap!) :-) :lol: :-)
BTW - http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/30v35s

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 1:47 PM   #7

Kabl,

Having a little trouble offering advice on focal range for skateboarding and handball. Those are a little different than anything I've done. As for Martial arts - it depends on if you are in a dojo/dojang (which at least here in the states tend to be very cramped) or a larger venue for tournaments. I think for tournaments, 30mm is not enough reach. And,you really want a zoomfor kumitae or even kata because of the ring size. For skateboarding it might be a great alternative. For handball - I just don't know.

But, I'm with NHL on the 50mm 1.4. Let's face it, you're not going to shoot sports at 1.4 - even 1.8 is difficult. So, from a sports perspective, a 1.4 lens isn't going to buy you anything over an equal quality 1.8. The Sigma is slightly different because it's not that expensive and you'd be buying it for the focal range.

Here's a question though - do you have the kit lens? What other lens do you have? I'm just wondering if you can figure out a good focal range for a prime lens for the sports. So, if you had the kit lens - even though it's too slow for freezing the action it would at least allow you to figure out what focal length you would be doing most of your shooting. And if 1 or 2 primes could fit that bill or if you really need a 24-70 zoom.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 1:56 PM   #8

kabl wrote:
Quote:
  • The Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, but the re-chip thing with 20D and the lack of USM/HSM doesn't sound to good [/*]
I have the Sigma 24-70mm, and use it on my 20D it did not have to be re-chipped? and as far as the lack of HSM, it still focuses pretty quick. I use it all the time for indoor sports, gymnastics, volleyball, indoor soccer with great results. But if you are really close to the action, I would have to agree with NHL on the Sigma 30mm f1.4 or the Canon 50mm f/1.8 especially for a sport as fast as handball. There is also a Sigma 28mm f/1.8, but it does not have HSM, but still pretty quick to focus.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:15 PM   #9

NHL wrote:
Quote:
I have the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, but I believe your money will be better spend on the 50mm f/1.8 without the USM!

So the AF on the EF 50mm f/1.8 will be fast enough for sport even though it is not USM?

-kabl
Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:18 PM   #10

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Here's a question though - do you have the kit lens? What other lens do you have? I'm just wondering if you can figure out a good focal range for a prime lens for the sports. So, if you had the kit lens - even though it's too slow for freezing the action it would at least allow you to figure out what focal length you would be doing most of your shooting. And if 1 or 2 primes could fit that bill or if you really need a 24-70 zoom.
I don't have the kit lens but I can borrow the EF-S 17-85 IS from a friend. I think I will try that and see what prime(s)suites me best when shooting sports. This is a great idea!! -kabl