Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 7, 2006, 7:55 PM   #1

Which lens gives a good bokeh ? I am wanting a decent lens to possibly go along with a new 20d I am thinking about getting. I am looking to take decent action pictures ...drag racing, rodeo, sports events,. I want to be able to blurr the background as seen in alot of the action pictures posted here. I am looking for a lens also for portraits at home ( 50mm f/2.8 ) . I am having a hard time deciding. As you can see I am a newbie but wodering what actually causes the nice bokeh I see in alot of the pictures that totally make me say... hey I want to be able to do these type pitures.

Thanks, Darrell
sc_radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:10 PM   #2

Zoom lenses that can do f/2.8 or below are very expensive. maybe you should buy the EF-S 17-85mm IS lens for genral use, andthe EF50mmf/1.8 lens. This may be cheaper than buying one lens that can do it all.
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 7:51 AM   #3

Darrell,

See my answer in the other forum.

Also, the 17-85 is by most accounts an excellent lens and a great option as a walk-around lens. But, it is not suited to sports shooting - especially if you want background blur. And for the sports in question, it's probably not nearly long enough. Conversely, a sporting lens doesn't make a good walk-around lens -they're too big, heavy and often don't go wide enough.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 3:27 PM   #4

For what you described, you will need at least two lenses, and it will be very expensive. If you don't absolutly need a apeture of f/2.8 or lower, then skip it and pick up a nice telephoto lens. It would save you a lot of money. For a walk around lens, I still recomend the EF-S 17-85mm IS lens
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 4:27 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies guys. John thanks for the pictures on the other thread also. I liked how you described the look and it helped me to understand. Homer so what nice telephoto lens would be recommended if I decide I don`t need a f/2.8 . I have a budget . I hate to say it here on the canon lenses forum but if the cost is gonna be that high I may still decide on a D50 with a 80-200 or 70-200 f/2.8 . There is something that justs make me :-)everytime I see the Canon 20d though. I may just start me a nice piggy bank.

Old Mar 8, 2006, 5:08 PM   #6

Nikon 70-200 f2.8 is not going to be cheap.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Cheapest option would be sigma 70-200 f2.8.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 5:08 PM   #7

Nikon 70-200 f2.8 is not going to be cheap.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Cheapest option would be sigma 70-200 f2.8.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 6:13 PM   #8

Yes I will go with Sigma for sure . I seen that you can use a +1.4 tele also with the sigma to increase distance.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 7:04 PM   #9

sc_radar wrote:
Quote:
Yes I will go with Sigma for sure . I seen that you can use a +1.4 tele also with the sigma to increase distance.
Yep, it's a pretty good combination.

Here's a gallery of football shots all done with the 20d, Sigma 70-200 2.8 plus Sigma 1.4x tc. Unfortunately I don't have sports shots for the sports you mentioned - that would be a better indicator. But as you can see here, the abilities of this combo are very good...

http://john-g.smugmug.com/gallery/842640

I would also say, although this isn't the right forum - if sports is your thing, the 20d is a much better sports camera than the d50 (higher iso capability/performance, better burst rate). The d200 is closer but I would still say the D20 is the best non-pro sports camera on the market.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote