Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 8, 2006, 4:56 AM   #1

Has anyone read when the new Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro lens will be released? I am looking into buying a 70-200 F2.8 lens and would like to compare the two from Sigma against the Canon. This will be used on a 20D.

Do you also think the the addition of the 2 ELD and 2 SLD pieces of glass will make this better than the 4 pieces of 4 SLD in the current lens? This and the ability to focus closer are the only changes that I can notice.

Thanks

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2006, 6:41 AM   #2
NHL

Speedie wrote:
Quote:
Do you also think the the addition of the 2 ELD and 2 SLD pieces of glass will make this better than the 4 pieces of 4 SLD in the current lens? This and the ability to focus closer are the only changes that I can notice.
IMO whatever it is, it can only be 'better' :-)

-> Would anyone come out with something 'worse' when the old one is already excellent by most comparisons?
May be they reversed the zoom rotation to 'bother' the Nikon (intead of the Canon) folks...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 6:47 AM   #3

NHL wrote:
Quote:
-> Would anyone come out with something 'worse' when the old one is already excellent by most comparisons?
Oh, there's about 20 years of Ford Mustang production that says someone will take an excellent product and turn it into mediocrity :-)- starting to turn that around though. The 'new Coke' also comes to mind.

Seriously though - there is always a danger in mucking with something that is already very good - 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' is still around for a reason. I really hope you're right. I love my Sigma 70-200 and I hope they continue to produce products that can optically compete with Canon L. It gives me a lower cost alternative without having to sacrifice quality and pushes Canon to do better.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:51 AM   #4
NHL

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Seriously though - there is always a danger in mucking with something that is already very good - 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' is still around for a reason.
Sounds just like the 20D to 30D transformation to me...

I was planning on Sigma being more along the line of the Honda's being the same lineage et al... than the Fix Or Repair Daily crowd! :-) :lol: :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 7:28 PM   #5

NHL wrote:
Quote:
than the Fix Or Repair Daily crowd! :-) :lol: :G
Interesting...

I alway though it stood for Found On Road Dead! :-):-):G
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:24 PM   #6

I dont think this is a replacement lens (okay, so no one specifically said replacement, but I get the feeling some people think of it that way). As you can see on their website, the macro version is not an inner-focus build nor supports TCs. If I was deciding between the two, I'd stay with the non macro, and just use extension tubes. That is if they don't differ optically (visually) or differ by cost

by looking at the current 70-200 model, the 120-300 2.8, and 100-300 4.0 (and even the 50-500 bigma), sigma appears to be on a role with tele lenses

*update* i just check the decription on the macro version again, and the text body states it's IF and can support TCs. But they failed to have those nice little visual icons at the top that represents IF and CONV, so now I dont know what to believe.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:11 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies everyone. I decided to order the the current lens without the macro feature. I had a great deal on a brand new one so I jumped on it. And I noticed that B&H raised the price on it today.

Thanks for you help

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote