Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 8, 2006, 9:06 PM   #1

I wonder why Canon won't come out with their own 18-200mm lens. Sigma, Tamron and Nikon came out with one and Nikon even has VR (vibration reduction). I hope Canon comes out with their own verison with usm and IS - the 18-200mm will be a great walkaround lens specially if Canon create theirs with a good glass.

I hope that If ever thye do make one, they can incorporate internal zooming and internal focusing to lessen the chance of dust contamination I hope I am not asking too much!!
danielg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:29 PM   #2

Not sure why, but if I were Canon, I wouldn't bother.

It's difficult to create a lens with that sort of zoom range without making a lot of compromises.

So Tamron has made a reasonable one and so have a few other manufacturers.

If I were Canon, I'd concede the wide range zoom to the other manufactureres, and make the best quality possible in smaller zoom ranges.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:58 PM   #3

i think internal zooming for a >10x zoom is a little tough to do... unless if you don't mind having a huge lens on all the time.

canon's 17-85 is only a 5x zoom for but you can clearly see the lens has it's own problems with distortions at the wide end with quite a bit of CA and the price is almost the same as the 17-40L. Even if a 10x zoom with IS and USM is priced the same as the 17-85, i bet a lot of people will not be satisfied with the optics for such a price.

imo i find an expensive high zoom lens sort of wasteful. If I wanted to go general, which means sacrificing quality and speed, I'd just buy a 12x zoom p&s (which cost as much as the third party 18-200 mm lenses). The canon s3 have IS, USM and is quite fast (F/3.5 at the max focal length!).

An example of an expensive general zoom is the 35-350 IS L made with quality material- but how many people actually use it? How many people would actually buy it? And just look at the size! Imagine trying to carry that around all day because it's your all-in-one lens. It would sort of contradict the reason for having a convenient lens.

BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 4:09 AM   #4
NHL

The Panasonic FZ30 and the KM A2/A200 are excellent examples of this trend! :idea:

Both are 8Mp camera with 8x to 12x ratio zoom, one with optical stabilization and the other with anti-shake. The Panasonic lens is made by Leica, and the KM is a 'G' lens, the 'L' equivalent to Canon line-up... The all-in-one cameras are much lighter and great for walk-around and less of a hassle than dSLRs...

Theses cameras also have excellent EVF's which IMO has better information displayed than an optical viewfinder:
1. What you see is what you get to CF cards on manual
2. Real-Time histogram
3. Grid and Scale displayed on demand

Most folks who complained about electronic viewfinders have never seen the clarity or the fast response of the A2.

I can also use my A2's EVF as a 'zoomable' lightmeter (with its real-time histogram) to set my dSLR to in difficult lighting condition such as night-scenes -> the 8Mp camera part on the A2 actually comes for free... in this case! :lol: :-) :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:46 AM   #5

What I like with both Tamron and Sigma is how small these 18-200 mm are. IF they only add on some image stabilizer/vibration reducer on it I'd be so happy. I know that with a focal range this wide there are compromises but for a walkaround lens the focal length it has makes it really attractive. At least for me it is
Old Mar 9, 2006, 5:20 PM   #6
NHL

Then you picked the wrong camera!

With a KM-5D/7D all your lenses would have had 'IS' then... :lol: :-) :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 8:28 PM   #7

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Then you picked the wrong camera!

With a KM-5D/7D all your lenses would have had 'IS' then... :lol: :-) :G

HAHAHA you are right but I rather have a Canon 20D with out IS than a KM-5D/7D with IS