Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 11, 2006, 6:07 PM   #1

Hello,
I'm going to get a 30D when its available, but I want to start buying the lenses (or at least noe wut to buy) now. I have a few interested models jot down. Please tell me about them. The thing is that I don't want to start with too many lenses until I am really familiar with the first few ones (2 or 3), thx.

Model B&H (nearest 50)
Standard Zoom
Canon EF-S 17-85 f/4~5.6 IS USM 500
Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG Macro ASP 400
Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM 700

Telephoto Zoom
Canon EF 70-200 f4L USM 600
Sigma 70-300 f/4~5.6 APO DG Macro 200
Canon EF 70-300 f4~5.6 IS USM 550

Wide Angle
Sigma 10-20 f/4~5.6 EX DC HSM 500
Canon 10~22 f/3.5~4.5 USM

I want one for each categoryXD

I have some questions too T.T:
  1. Is IS a must have (sum comparison foto wut be nice)?
    [/*]
  2. Will I really need fast lens with large aperature?
    [/*]
  3. I like macro, how is a macro lens different from a lens with macro featureXD?[/*]
anything wil be appreciated
THX very much,

~Iteloo

leooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:17 AM   #2

Maybe start out with the 17-85 IS.

You may want to get used to the camera with one lens, before you start buying more.

Most people have specific things they like to photograph, and then buy a second or third lenses to meet those priorities.

If your interested in telephoto, you'd be better off looking at a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 than those slow canon lenses.

As for super wide angle, I'd say that the 10-22 or 22 lenses are of least use for you. They are sort of a specialty lens for landscape and architecture.

It really depends on your photographic interests.

I'd say start with the 17-85 and get to know your D30 for a few months.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:20 AM   #3

Here are a few specific answers to your questions:

1. Is IS a must? Depends on what your shooting, but generally "no".

2. Will I need a fast lens with a large aperture? Depends. If you'll be shooting in low light or indoors, then F2.8 or faster is helpful. Faster lenses tend to be higher quality and more expensive.

3. Macro? Don't know the answer to that question, maybe private message NHL, he's the lens guru on this forum.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:37 AM   #4

I'm going to echo Terry. I am a big fan of suggesting a single lens to start off with. The 17-85 is a great focal range and will make a great walk-around lens. The Sigma 24-70 is also a very nice lens and would make a great walkaround. Obviously the trade-off is the 17-85 offers more range on both ends BUT the 24-70 has a 2-stop advantage over the 17-85. And, while IS can prevent camera shake at up to 2 stops lower shutter speeds, it CANT give you a faster shutter speed to stop motion and it CANT match the shallower DOF that a 2.8 lens can give you.

But, whichever you choose, I would hold off on additional lenses for a few months.

I also agree with Terry on your questions - it depends. The one thing a true macro lens will give is 1:1 subject magnification (meaning the image captured is the same size as the actual subject) and usually close focusing distance. Typically macro lenses focus slower, because precision and not speed is what is required.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:40 PM   #5

The Canon EF 17-40L is a nice zoom lens.You can use it on film cameras, so if you ever buy film SLR from canon,youalready have a nice wide angle. But if you need more range, look into the EF-S17-85mm lens.

Dependingon what you plan to take pictures of, you should just pick up either the Telephotoor the wide angle and leave the other for later. I use wide angles more, so I would buy the EF-S 10-22mmlens.

Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 6:06 PM   #6

thx for the advices^^ but i don't know how different 17mm is from 24mm, can anyone post a comparison photo that is shot in a same scene?XD
Old Mar 13, 2006, 6:49 PM   #7

Terry's advice is very good...

I bought the EF-S 17-85IS with my 20D. About six months later I bought the inexpensive EF 50II for an indoor shoot without flash. This lens sells for about $70. I seldom use it.

My next purchase was an EF 70-200 f/4L and an inexpensive Tamron 1.4 TC. This combination does a good job on a tripod.The 70-200 is areally nice lens... very good colors. I opted for the Canon, though the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 costs about the same, because the 2.8 lens is a lot bigger and heavier.

After all this, the 17-85 is on my camera 80% of the time. Only downside is if you ever want to buy a full frame camera, the EF-S lenses will become obsolete.

The difference between a 17 and a 24mm lens is huge, especially when you consider the 1.6 crop factor with your camera. The 17-85 "acts" like a 24-135 would on a FF camera.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 8:15 PM   #8

It acts like 27.2-136mm on a 1.6 crop.A 24 mm would act like a 38.4mm, which is... usable, at best. The same wide angle that comes with those cheapP&S.:roll:

But if you are going to buy the EF-S 10-22mm, that would cover the gap, with a 16-35.2mm focal lengths. And with f/2.8, it might be worth looking into.

And always double check the equivalent focal range.Canon will claim that an 18mm lens will be equal to 28mm on a 1.6 crop, when itsreally 28.8mm, closer to 29mm. this gets bad when they give you the telephoto from the rounded number instead of the FF telephoto number.

Also, a lens from somewhere like sigma will rarely be faster than a canon lens at auto focusing, because it will not have the USM motor.

And try to purchase lens that will work on film, because the 1.6 crop will take away the "bad" part of the lens (the edges) . EF-Slenseshave the edges of the cropped away, so it will fit a 1.6 crop or smaller (though canon does not market a 2.0 crop at this time, on the off chance they do, they can make the mount fit EF-S lenses) but not a FF.Though don't restrain from buying the EF-S 10-22mm lens, you can't beat that focal range.
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 2:06 PM   #9

I just ordered a 30D yesterday and need lenses. What do you think about this lens combination?

Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM
Canon EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM

I'm debating about the second lens. Should I wait for the 17-55mm F/2.8G IS? It's about the same cost but the 24-70 would not leave a gap and it's L quality.

edit: OK, I misread the prices. How about-

Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L is USM
Canon EF 10-22mm F/3.5 - 4.5 USM
Cannon EF 50mm F/1.4

Then next year I can add the EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM.

Comments?
DBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 4:11 PM   #10

DBoone wrote:
Quote:
I'm debating about the second lens. Should I wait for the 17-55mm F/2.8G IS?

Then next year I can add the EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM.
f/2.8G XD?

well, im askin the lens questions myself = =... but i dun c y u wud leav the standard zoom for later. supposinly itl be ur primary lens.

anyone can post me photo comparison of the 17 and 24mm on a 1.6X crop, plz QQ? i understand all the concepts, just need actual photo to noe whether il need it or not...

thx
~Iteloo