Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 17, 2006, 10:13 AM   #1

Hello,

It is now more than one month that I have ordered the EF 24-70 2.8L USM.

My local dealer told me that he did an order 2 months ago and nothing is coming.

He told me that is may be because Canon is updating the new lens with a EF 24-70 2.8L USM "II".

Does somebody know something ??

Thanks

Zap

http://www.zap-ch.com/Index2_2.htm
Zap_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2006, 11:43 AM   #2

Hey Zap....
I got the 24-70mm from B&H, here in the states last week and in 2 days after ordering it on...I haven't heard any rumor about an upgrade to the lens...Frankly I don't know how they could
improve on this lens...When you finally get yours, you will be blown away with the
quality of pictures it takes...Good glass is the the answer to good pictures...I love the lens and just finished my first bridal shoot with it and was amazed....
:|
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 1:26 PM   #3

John at the Beach'

What camera you are using with your 24-70 lens? Would it make a good walk around lens as well?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:23 PM   #4

harana wrote:
Quote:
John at the Beach'

What camera you are using with your 24-70 lens? Would it make a good walk around lens as well?
It depends on what you want out of a walkaround lens. The 24-70 has a 2.8 aperture - which is great. But, it means this lens is big and heavy. It also doesn't have IS - which some people like. And on a 1.6 crop body it is a 38-112mm lens. Is that wide enough for you? Is it long enough for you?

A 24-105 lens gets you more reach and has IS, but it's only f4.0. Is that OK?

A 28-135 lens isn't as wide and quality is a little less and it's 3.5-5.6 aperturebut it's a fraction of the cost.

a 17-85 lens has IS but isn't as long as some of the others and it's an AF-S lens which means it won't work well (if at all) on a full sized sensor camera.

So, What's more important for YOUR walkaround purposes, wide end or tele? Is 2.8 necessary, or is 4.0 OK or is 5.6 ok?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:44 PM   #5

Harana.....
I have a 10D and 20D...The 20D is my prime for weddings and I pretty much plan to leave it on that camera...As far as a walk around lens...If you dont mind the extra weight its ok...It does get a bit heavy though...Several months ago I got the 70-200mm f2.8
and that is also an awsome lens...Again, heavy, but I use a monopod when shooting
birds etc....I know there are off brands for these two lenses...If your in the market
you might look at sigma and tamron's versions...
john
Old Mar 24, 2006, 7:59 AM   #6

I HAVE IT !!!
;-)
I went yesterday to take it.

My local dealer called meto told me that he finally received my NEW 24-70 2.8L USM !

He told me that his last order to Canon took a very long time to arrive...
he apologize and he gave me 3% rabate.

It is impressive. Good built, and a very good feeling when you have it in your hand.

This weekend I will test it !
I hope that I don't havea bad copy...

Zap
http://www.zap-ch.com

Old Mar 26, 2006, 5:42 PM   #7

Hi everybody,

I have made few pics this weekend and I would like to know if you could tell me what you think about (is sharpness ok??)
here is the link :
http://www.zap-ch.com/canon2470.htm

Thanks
Zap
Old Mar 27, 2006, 7:08 AM   #8

Zap.....I dont see a thing wrong with those test shots...They even look like the focus is centered...(some lenses have a slight back focus problem)...The sharpness is really good also...
Go shoot some people up close and you will probably have to use blur in photoshop to soften some wrinkles in the face...That happened to me a week ago with a bride...
I am very pleased with my 24-70....
john

Old Apr 1, 2006, 7:40 AM   #9

To my novice eye I do not see a problem.¬*¬*From what little I know providing information on all the shooting paramaters would be crucial to know.¬* ¬*No lens, not even Primes are perfect.¬* ¬*All leneses are¬* design compromises (weight, price, speed, image quality at x focal length and Fstop, need to change lenses e.g. 50 for a Tele, Sensor Dust from changing lenses often, etc. etc.).¬* At a minimum you would need to post/be aware of in your testing:¬* focal length, F stop, shutter speed, distance from subject etc.¬* ¬*If you look up reviews of any lens they will vary,¬* but have a general agreement that the lens is sharpest from somthing like F8 to F11,¬* have the best image quality excluding the extremes of the lens range e.g. 10 or 20mm @ each end of the lens range. ¬* ¬*This may be image sharpness in general, in¬*in the corners, or distortion related (often the distortion is correctable in an image application).¬* ¬*I for example have a very modest lens, the Canon 24-85.¬* ¬*From my reseach it was the best $300 dollar zoom (in this¬* wide to tele range), though I could have had the same quality for around $200 in the 28 to 105, I was not willing to give up the extra range on the wide side.¬* ¬*Of course with more $$ and a willingess to carry a heavier lens there were many higher quality choices.¬*
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote