Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 21, 2006, 3:37 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 221
Default

Canon 10-22
Sigma 18-50f2.8
Sigma 100-300f4 or Sigma 70-200f2.8 + 1.4 tele
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 6:32 AM   #12
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,547
Default

jacks wrote:
Quote:
Canon 10-22
Sigma 18-50f2.8
Sigma 100-300f4 or Sigma 70-200f2.8 + 1.4 tele
The best suggestion combo so far... all excellent lenses (and fast) at reasonable cost!

However I would substitute the Canon 10-22 for the Sigma 10-20, why?
-> I'll be surprised if anyone can actually 'see' a difference outside test benches/labs between the two, but for the same overall cost one can add a very nice 4th lens:
A superb 105mm f/2.8 Macro EX for insects and up close flower works (which can double as a portrait lens) :idea:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...c.php?id=32175
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 7:25 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 238
Default

NHL wrote:
Quote:
jacks wrote:
Quote:
Canon 10-22
Sigma 18-50f2.8
Sigma 100-300f4 or Sigma 70-200f2.8 + 1.4 tele
The best suggestion combo so far... all excellent lenses (and fast) at reasonable cost!

However I would substitute the Canon 10-22 for the Sigma 10-20, why?
-> I'll be surprised if anyone can actually 'see' a difference outside test benches/labs between the two, but for the same overall cost one can add a very nice 4th lens:
A superb 105mm f/2.8 Macro EX for insects and up close flower works (which can double as a portrait lens) :idea:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...c.php?id=32175
NHL,

I like this combo. Thanks but I have some questions:

1. Is Sigma 18-50f2.8 usable at f2.8? Some reviewer was saying it is very soft wide open. I do need a f2.8 lens in this range though so any comments/alternate will be very helpful.

2. What about Canon EF70-200f/4L USM with 1.4x teleconverter? How does it compare with the 2 tele zooms you are recommending?

3. Would Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 or EF 85mm f/1.8 be better for portraits considering the 1.6x crop factor on 30D?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 6:40 AM   #14
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,547
Default

harana wrote:
Quote:
3. Would Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 or EF 85mm f/1.8 be better for portraits considering the 1.6x crop factor on 30D?
Check out this site (you need to request a password now): http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/zoomvprimes
-> The 18-50 f/2.8 EX compares very favorably over the 50mm f/1.8, and it'll save yourself a lens change...
Also see here for f/2.8 - f/4 comparison: http://www.shuttertalk.com/articles/...50ex/index.php

The reason I added the 105mm f/2.8 EX to the combo is that you're lacking a macro capability for close-up of flowers from the saving on the Sigma 10-20mm, and no lens can be sharper than a macro!



Quote:
2. What about Canon EF70-200f/4L USM with 1.4x teleconverter? How does it compare with the 2 tele zooms you are recommending?
A lens always loses some performance with a teleconverter - You're now down to f/5.6 @ 300mm with the EF70-200f/4L while the Sigma 100-300 f/4 EX is still a stop faster without a TC... Are you getting the Canon because it's just an L, because adding a TC will bring the cost up to the price of the Sigma?

The 100-300 f/4 EX is one of the sharpest lens Sigma makes, is of pro caliber EX series and comes with HSM as well: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 6:38 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 238
Default

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Check out this site (you need to request a password now): http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/zoomvprimes
-> The 18-50 f/2.8 EX compares very favorably over the 50mm f/1.8, and it'll save yourself a lens change...
Also see here for f/2.8 - f/4 comparison: http://www.shuttertalk.com/articles/...50ex/index.php

The reason I added the 105mm f/2.8 EX to the combo is that you're lacking a macro capability for close-up of flowers from the saving on the Sigma 10-20mm, and no lens can be sharper than a macro!


Quote:
2. What about Canon EF70-200f/4L USM with 1.4x teleconverter? How does it compare with the 2 tele zooms you are recommending?
A lens always loses some performance with a teleconverter - You're now down to f/5.6 @ 300mm with the EF70-200f/4L while the Sigma 100-300 f/4 EX is still a stop faster without a TC... Are you getting the Canon because it's just an L, because adding a TC will bring the cost up to the price of the Sigma?

The 100-300 f/4 EX is one of the sharpest lens Sigma makes, is of pro caliber EX series and comes with HSM as well: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65
I could not get into the gallery and could not find a way to request the password. But I did read the review of Sigma 18-50 mm and saw the difference at f2.8 and f4. It looks very usable at f2.8..

Regarding EF70-200f/4L; yesI am interested in it because it is an L and I have seen many very good reviews on it and it isbelow $1000...:-) Is this lens a bit sharper than Sigma 100-300 f/4 without the TC through out the zoom range?

Regarding the Sigma macro lens 105mm f/2.8 EX; I think that will be great lens for the flower and insects but due to 1.6x crop factor would I have to move way back for the portraits? In other words would I need a separate lens in the range of 60mm to 85mm range for portraits?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 3:37 PM   #16
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,547
Default

harana wrote:
Quote:
Regarding the Sigma macro lens 105mm f/2.8 EX; I think that will be great lens for the flower and insects but due to 1.6x crop factor would I have to move way back for the portraits? In other words would I need a separate lens in the range of 60mm to 85mm range for portraits?
You need a longer lens actually...

FYI - http://www.photo.net/learn/portraits/intro.html
"If you absolutely cannot control the background, the standard way to cheat is to use a long fast lens, e.g., 300/2.8. Fast telephoto lenses have very little depth of field. Your subject's eyes and nose will be sharp. Everything else that might have been distracting will be blurred into blobs of color."

-> i.e. for outdoor portrait you usually need a longer lens with almost zero DOF :idea:
For indoor portrait the background is usually controlled by the backdrop so a fast lens is not really needed... (my 120-300 f/2.8 @ 300 for example has less DOF than my 85mm f/1.2). Indoor studio portraits actually use the lens stopped down so one can gain maximum sharpness!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 3:21 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 92
Default

Have a look around my site. In general, Sigma EX lenses offer tremendous bang for buck. http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/lenstests
fstopjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 6:14 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 238
Default

fstopjojo, NHLand all,

I really appreciate all the input I have received as it it is helping me greatly in deciding what lenses to get with my 30D. I am leaning towards (but there is still room for more changes) these 3 lenses:

Sigma10-20
Sigma 18-50f2.8
Canon70-300f4-5.6 IS USM

I have 2 questions:

1. Is this a good combination for the price? What would be better bang for the buck here? I am open for suggestion..

2. Where to buy Sigma so it can be returned for repairto Sigma if there was a quality issue with it? Is that sigma4less.com or any place?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 8:26 PM   #19
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,547
Default

harana wrote:
Quote:
2. Where to buy Sigma so it can be returned for repairto Sigma if there was a quality issue with it?
Contact Sigma directly (regardless of where you bought)... even with older lenses, they are pretty good at this

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/contact/contact.asp

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 1:08 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 238
Default

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Contact Sigma directly (regardless of where you bought)... even with older lenses, they are pretty good at this

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/contact/contact.asp
Thanks for the info. Any further thoughts on my list of lenses? Is Canon 17-85 IS lens sharper than Sigma 18-50 f/2.8? How sharp is Sigma 17-70? I am still having difficulty deciding between these 3 lenses..:sad:

I like the speed in the 18-50 but looking for great edge to edge sharpness too. I like the range on 17-70 and 17-85 but I will go with better lens instead of range or speed... Need help here:?

harana is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:37 PM.