Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 19, 2006, 1:12 AM   #1

After a lot of reading I have made up my mind. In April I will be buying a Canon 30D DSLR. At that time I would like to buy 2 or 3 excellent quality lenses to go with it too.

I would like to cover 10mm to 300mm range. I like to take pictures of people, landscape, flowers, parties and weddings. Below are my parameters for the lens search:
  1. No more than 2 or 3 lenses to cover this range (10mm to 300mm) to reduce lens changes and weight. [/*]
  2. Should be able to take people pictures in low light without flash [/*]
  3. Like to have a good walk-around lens for my camera [/*]
  4. Like to pick best (sharp, fast and minimum aberrations) lenses at the reasonable price from Canon or any 3[suP]rd[/suP] party vendors. [/*]
  5. Weight and size of lenses needs to be small and light for hiking trips.[/*]
I would appreciate your expert advice and recommendations. Regards.
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2006, 1:44 PM   #2

I do not think you can get a lens to cover 10-12mm (due to the 1.6x factor). If I understand it correctly, even a 10-55 lens will mean 16-88mm with a 30D. But you probably know that already...

FWIW I am considering the Sigma 18-50 F/2.8 lens for my 30D. I've heard good things about this lens.
YunusEmre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:03 PM   #3

I realized my mistake and fixed it. I am looking for 10-300mm range.

I tried but I can not fix my spelling mistake in the "subject" line...:sad: Hope it will not be too distracting.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:06 PM   #4

harana wrote:
Quote:
I tried but I can not fix my spelling mistake in the "subject" line...:sad: Hope it will not be too distracting.
It is not a spelling mistake as such, the Meriam Webster says "lense" is a variant:

Main Entry: [sup]1[/sup]lens
Variant(s): also lense
YunusEmre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:17 PM   #5

harana wrote:
Quote:
I realized my mistake and fixed it. I am looking for 10-300mm range.
I hate to stick on this point, but clarify - do you mean BEFORE or AFTER the crop factor is applied. For instance, to the other poster's point, in order to get 10mm EQUIVELENT (i.e. after the crop factor) you need a lens that is 6.25mm - I don't know if such a lens exists.

Also, we need to get some more specifics:

1. People pictures in low light without flash. Will the people be moving or posed? If they're posed, a lens with IS is a possible solution. If they are moving then IS does you no good whatsoever - you need a fast lens (f2.8 or wider - usually wider which means a prime).

I would also suggest re-evaluating purchasing strategy. Focal length is only one part of the equation. You mention low light photos, partiesand weddings. Having an external flash will greatly improve your results in both scenarios. Whereas none of your suggested photography needs requires a 300mm lens. So, I would suggest a good external flash rather than an extra lens. Are you experienced in SLR and lenses? The reason I ask is I tend to advise against buying a bunch of lenses right off the bat because one of two things happens:

1. You buy cheap lenses just to cover focal ranges and quickly become unhappy and replace them down the road. Those cheap lenses don't have much of a resale value so you've wasted money.

or

2. You end up with a $700 paperweight. Sure, it's a great lens - but you just don't end up using it as much as you thought you would.

My advice would be: stick to a single, walkaround lens for a couple months. Then determine where that lens falls short. Which is more important based upon your current gear's limitations - do you need more reach? Do you need more wide-end? Do you need a wider aperture?

But, if you still want to go ahead with the 10-300 scenario, you don't mention a budget. How much can you realistically spend?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:54 PM   #6

JohnG,

I will try to answer all of your questions.

10-300mm lens focal length straight, not after the crop factor. I do agree with you that I should get one or two lenses to start with. But if I have a good shopping list upfront then I won't be buying redundant lenses. That's why I am trying to line up all the lenses to buy upfront.

People pictures will be varied; some stationary situations, some moving, and some where flash can not be used. I do plan on getting a flash though.

I like taking pictures of wildlife while hiking. 300mm will be handy in those situations,I think.

I have been using film SLRs for long time but want to get into DSLR with improved equipment. So I am not an expert but not a beginner either.

My budget is not very big though... I can not afford lens costing ~$1000 each but can spend $500 + - somefor a good lens. I also like lighter lens for hiking purposes.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:12 PM   #7

Here is a start.

1. 17-85mm IS
2. 70-300mm IS or (70-200/4 L with 1.4TC)
3. Figure out what's missing from there and add it later.
Humrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:22 PM   #8

I would second Humrme's suggestions. If you find you want something wider than 17mm, then for number 3, definitely go for the Canon EF-S 10-22mm.

mgipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 5:00 PM   #9

You will have a little trouble maintaining quality while covering that whole range with just three lenses. 17-300 is pretty easy to keep in 3 lenses.
Ultimate, no budget:
Canon 16-35 f/2.8L
Canon 24-70 f/2.8L
Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 or Canon 100-400 f/3.5-5.6L

Some budget:
Canon 17-40 f/4L
Canon 70-200 f/4L
Sigma 120-300 f/2.8

Med. budget:
Canon 10-22
Canon 17-85
Canon 70-300 IS

Med. budget higher quality:
Canon 17-40 f/4L
Canon 70-200 f/4L
Kenko 1.4x teleconverter
Canon 50mm f/1.8

Just some suggestions, Canon is the only manufacturer to offer a zoom lens with 10mm. Sigma offers a 12-24, Tokina also has a 12-24. The long end on any of those super wides will leave you short on a middle lens that can cover to around 100mm. Skip the super zooms if you want the best image quality, but a super range zoom will get you closer to your goal of 3 lenses.
eosthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 9:32 PM   #10
NHL

eosthree wrote:
Quote:
Canon is the only manufacturer to offer a zoom lens with 10mm. Sigma offers a 12-24, Tokina also has a 12-24...
Actually Sigma also has a 10mm in the EX series:
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len..._456/index.htm

-> Unlike the Canon and others 'digital' lenses which only covers to 16mm in practice with the crop factor, the Sigma 12-24mm is a true 12mm on a full-frame (and the only on the market!)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote