Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 19, 2006, 9:02 PM   #1

We are going on a camping/kayaking trip this summer- Yellowstone Lake, Lake Jackson and a small part of the Snake River. I've been looking for a longer lens for wildlife, and after going back and forth many times, it's down to the above 2 lenses. I guess what it boils down to is, is the extra $700 too much to pay for 100mm + IS.
Will I notice the lack of the 100 mm. Someone here said that no lens is "long enough". I could put the $700 to good use, but am willing to spend it if the Canon is sharper than the Sigma.
Thanx,
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2006, 9:19 PM   #2

The Canon is reasonably sharp, a friend of mine uses one all of the time. The IS could prove very useful if you are taking shots on the water or are held to a small lightweight tripod for space reasons. I am not familiar with the Sigma 100-300, but I do know the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 is tack sharp and fast to boot. A teleconverter is always an option, but you will lose a stop and with a slower lens and you may lose auto focus.
People are right, there is no such thing as a lens that is long enough, I am always wishing for longer and faster, especially when it comes to wildlife. On that trip there should be plenty for you to see. Hope you come to a decision, have a great trip.
eosthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:01 PM   #3
spy

One other thing to consider is the canon's 100 - 400 IS lens is a "slide zoom". I asked two different canon sales reps what the cons of that lens is and both, at two different stores, said for their first answer is that "dust gets into the barrel of the lens quite easily".

Just a point of interest.

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 11:45 AM   #4
NHL

surfnron wrote:
Quote:
I guess what it boils down to is, is the extra $700 too much to pay for 100mm + IS.
IMO only you can answer this...
Instead of asking which one is sharper (they are both sharp!) - Which lens will suit you better?

-> If you don't have a 70-200 f/2.8 yet then the Sigma 100-300 f/4 is probably more flexible because it's sligly faster here...
-> If you need a 400mm then the 100-400L, a lens without TC is always better than the Sigma with a 1.4x

As to IS, it's a nice to have, but not an absolute need since I rarely use this feature - If you don't have enough light, the resulting picture won't be good anyway (i.e. lacking color/contrast) plus a flash is also good for daylight fills.

I have the 100-400L IS, but when I need the reach I'll pull-out my 120-300 f/2.8 EX with a 2x TC instead! :lol: :-) :G
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...487395#p487395
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:19 PM   #5

You may want to check out this review of the Sigma 100-300

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...00_4/index.htm

It's actually sharper than the 100-400 even with the 1.4TC but you give up the IS which is very useful for minimizing camera shake. Some people (like NHL) don't really need it. I really like the 100-300 but I get better and more consistent results (handheld) with the 100-400L. I don't have a problem at all with dust.
Humrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 6:01 PM   #6

Thanx everyone for the comments. I've been going back and forth for a while. I'm now leaning towards the 100-300 as I already have the Sigma 24-70 which takes the same size filters, and the reviews have been excellent. I know there will be times that it's not going to be long enough, but I'm sure I would encounter the same thing with the 100-400.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote