Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:25 AM   #1

I've spent so much time trying to figure out what lens to get with D Rebel XT that I've confused myself. The lens that normally comes as part of a kit is shown as an 18-55 EF-S. Now is this a digital specific lens so that it's actuall equivalent to a 35mm 18-55 zoom lens or do I need to add in the 1.6X factor so this would really be a 28-88 equivalent?

I decided against getting the Sigma 28-300 lens. Based on comments from my last post and the links provided, I don't think it's going to give me the sharpness I want. I really like the Canon EF 24-85 USM, but it's $300. I'm trying to keep my total below $1000. I don't think I'm going to be able to do that when I add in a 1gig CF card, an extra battery, and a UV-haze filter. I've been looking at B&H Photo and Adorama. Any other places I should look that have good prices and a good reputation? Oh, I live in Houston,Tx so if there is someplace local that fits that description, please let me know.

Thanks,

ScubaDachshund
ScubaDachshund is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:58 AM   #2

You need to multiply by 1.6 to get the real focal length, regardless of what type of lens (EF, EF-s).

Try the Sigma 70-300 APO. I think that's around 200.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:11 AM   #3
rey

You can try beachcamera.com, they're also legit.

Alos for packaged camera, lens, etc, check out Cameta Auctions (aka Cameta Camera) on eBay: http://stores.ebay.com/Cameta-Camera

good luck.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 4:13 PM   #4

Thanks for the link to Cameta. They have what looks like a great package deal. D Rebel XT body, Canon EF 17-85 f4-5.6 IS USM lens, Canon EF 75-300 f4-5.6, and an ok camera case...for $1350. Considering my local camera store just quoted me $1200 + tax for the body and a EF 24-85 USM lens...this has me interested. The 17-85 lens is $500 by itself. The 75-300, probably ok. Not sure since I haven't researched it much...but I think they run around $300(?). Still need a 1gig CF card, an extra battery, and a couple of UV-Haze filters. That will probably add about another $100-$120 to the price. (Yeah, I know...I'm way above the $1000 I had planned on.)

Does this sound like a good deal?

ScubaDachshund
ScubaDachshund is offline   Reply With Quote