Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:13 PM   #1

I am looking for a nice versatile all-around lens for the Digital Rebel.

From what I can tell and what I have read, the 18-200 should fit the bill.

As far as I can see, the specs on the Tamron and Sigma look about the same, but the Tamron seems to retail for a bit more.

Can anyone offer any insight on whether there is a discernable difference between these two lenses, or does anyone know of a review where they have been compared?

Thanks.
SilentBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2006, 4:47 PM   #2

SilentBob (where's Jay?) :roll:

Perhaps the best site for this is: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html(both lenses tested there).

Check out the tests(both have been tested by the slr team) as well as thereviews posted by the team and also the users at www.slrgear.com

Also check out http://www.fredmiranda.com/and get a sample of the people who comment there about both lenses. Obviously you need to "filter" out the extravagent claims (or the rubbish reviews) that some folk make, but I find if you survey the overall comments made you get a fairly good impression of the lens' main points (pros, cons, strong points, possible problems, etc)

From what I've seen there is not a huge difference in terms of optics, price, build quality.Both are quite similar - and because they cover such a large focal range they are very convenient, BUT they don't offer the very highest level of qualtiy (but probably decent enough quality still for most purposes!) Hope this helps.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 6:05 PM   #3

Thanks Paul,

That is really helpful. Looks like if I am going to go this route I will perhaps be a bit happier with the Tamron, at least from the AF perspective.

I am still trying to make up my mind on which way I want to go, and I think I am going to post a question in the main Canon thread, but given that I am looking for a convenient all-around option, I'm trying to decide what is going to give better results, a cheaper dSLR with an extreme zoom lens or a prosumer ultra zoom like the Fujifilm S9000.

Here is the thread I said I would write:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=37
SilentBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 2:49 AM   #4

Remember the golden rule. Do not buy blind, no matter what the reviewers say.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 3:53 AM   #5

geriatric wrote:
Quote:
Remember the golden rule. Do not buy blind, no matter what the reviewers say.
And if you do - make sure you can return it within a week or two... :-)

kabl is offline   Reply With Quote