Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:11 PM   #21
VP

Never mind!!
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 6:34 AM   #22

Jees,

Another railroaded thread NHL. The guy asked the question about 70-200mm lenses. Its not hard to understand.

A 120-300mm was not asked about in the original thread because he also wants the lens for shots of his kids. I doubt he would want to move so far away as to make that lens effective in that situation.

What an ego!
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 8:21 PM   #23
NHL

LBoy wrote:
Quote:
Jees,

Another railroaded thread NHL. The guy asked the question about 70-200mm lenses. Its not hard to understand.

So what don't youunderstand??? :-) :lol: :G

picturethis62 wrote:

Quote:
Last night I shot some picture of my sons music concert, I used my old film sigma lens, 75-300mm f4-5.6 DL. I was actually surprised with some of the pictures, some came out nice... ... If you added the 1.4x onto the 120-300 wouldn't that take a bit away from the picture? After using my lens last night, I find I still like the long range. Any thoughts on this, if it makes sense.
-> The guy just lost his 300mm coverage with a 70-200mm going down from hiscurrent75-300mm f4-5.6 DL :idea:

(+ now he has to take an extra step to mountthat 1.4x TC... and makes it a slower lens!)

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 1:39 AM   #24

picturethis62 wrote:
Quote:
Thought I had my mind made up (Sigma) and someone said no, go with the Canon.

Now I need a little more help to make up my mind once and for all.* If money wasn't and issue, which for me it is, but I'm willing to go for it.
Get a Sigma Bigma! 50 to 500mm's of range, it's built
like a tank, weighs as much as a tank, and has fine glass
to boot with no purple fringing problems! Everytime
you just pick up this piece of glass, you'll be reminded
that it is serious! It's amazing. :-)

Wayne.
Wayne Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 2:02 AM   #25

JohnG wrote:

Quote:
The Sigma 120-300 has the longest range, but you give up the wide end by a good amount and you gain a lot of weight.
Weight on quality glass is actually a GOOD THING I think.
120 to 300mm's is not a very usable range and is limited.
A Bigma 50-500 and it's ridiculous range is effective
and it weighs a ton not needing "IS" because it's so heavy.

Wayne.
Wayne Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 7:32 AM   #26

Wayne Birch wrote:
Quote:
Weight on quality glass is actually a GOOD THING I think.
120 to 300mm's is not a very usable range and is limited.
A Bigma 50-500 and it's ridiculous range is effective
and it weighs a ton not needing "IS" because it's so heavy.

Wayne.
Wayne,

I'm not sure I agree with this statement. Much depends on the intended use for the lens. As a wildlife lens I think the bigma is a good middle grade lens - good optics and great range. But as a sports lens, it suffers from the same problem as the Canon 100-400mm - the 5.6. Want to shoot at night under lights? Sorry you can't - 5.6 is too slow. Want a nice background blur on your sports shots to isolate your subject? Sorry - only possible if the subject is really close.

So yes, the bigma is a very nice lens. It's just not a very good 'individual' sport lens (by that I mean where the subject is a human not a car or similar where panning gives you the blur).

As for the Bigma not needing IS because it's so heavy - That statement doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Think Canon puts IS on their 400mm 2.8 lens because it's light? I don't think anyone can make a case that a heavier lens/camera reduces camera shake when hand held.

Also, we have to go back to what the original poster wanted - sports and shooting their kids. A big heavy lens is just not useful for that situation. That's why a 70-200 2.8 is still the best alternative for the original poster's stated needs.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 5:17 PM   #27

I suspect the 135mm f/2L (216 in digital) may be the lens you are looking for.

Fast, sharp as a tack, brutally honest rendition of color and excellent bokeh. The 85mm f/1.8 pales in comparison to this lens.

Definately in a class by itself and an absolute cinch for indoor sports.

Here is a $35 rebate if you are buying new.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/app/pd..._ClaimForm.pdf

mlhm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 11:35 AM   #28

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/
Thaipo Negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:16 PM   #29

Yip,

Just scroll down and see what is in "the most popular products"..
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 1:41 AM   #30

Anybody know what the best deal out there ison thecanon70-200mm f2.8L IS? Probably none. It's ok to roam off the original post, I have taken a bunch of things into consideration from posts that have recommended other lenses, but in my case, like LBOY said, a long lens wouldn't be too good for me especiallysince I take alot of different pictures of my kids. One of my sons was pitching inbaseball game recently and I was using my old 28-80mmfilm lens and it just wasn'tlong enough, that 70-200 would of been just right. I have a old Sigma 75-300mmbut every time Iwent to shoot with that, the error 99 pops up, I know it needs to be re-chipped or thrown out. I'm ready to crack the safe this week and get my Llens. Baseball season is upon us and I cant wait any longeror I will missto many nicepics w/the kids on the field.

Thanks again for the posts and help,

Bill
picturethis62 is offline   Reply With Quote