Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 25, 2006, 6:05 PM   #1

How much different would a Canon 10-22MM and 17-85MM image look... does anyone have a comparison website that anyone knows of? I'm basically asking what more a wider view with the 10MM would give me over the 17MM... there's a big price difference between the two. I'm coming from a 28-135MM Canon using a DRebel XT and looking for a wider view (and smaller lens if possible)... The other option is the Sigma 10-22MM but I would like having the 85MM range if possible using 1 lens...

Thanks in advance for any advice.
xtaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:09 PM   #2

The 17-85IS is a great "walk around" lens. It acts like a 28-135 35mm lens on the 20D/30D. The 10-22 is a lot wider. If you don't really understand the difference, go for the 17-85IS and use it for six months. then consider the 10-22.

I own the 17-85IS and it's on my camera most of the time. I also own the EF 70-200f/4L and it is a wonderful lens... great color and very sharp. It's a little large and heavy to my way of thinking, but lots of folks will call it "compact" or "light". The 10-22 will probably be my next lens.

I also own a 50mm 1.8 lens (really cheap) that I use for low light situations.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 9:30 PM   #3

Well, 17mm equals 27mm with the 1.6 factor, and 10mm equals 16mm. That's quite a difference. I wish I could show you the difference, but I don't have any comparisons available. Like "Wildman" said, the 10-22 is really not a walk-around lens. It's more of a speciality lens. I would get the 17-85mm lens first (or something similar), and then add the 10-22 which IS an awesome lens...
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:18 PM   #4
rey

If you already have a 28-135mm, then get the 10-22mm. The wide angle lens is a specialty lens, but it gives you a perfect lens to complement your 28-135.

Here's a site with focal length comparison:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/app/ht...al_length.html

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:13 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses, I decided to answer my own question and went down to B&H in person and did some test shots with the Canon and the Tokina. I posted comparison shots from both lenses on my website. I was surprised at difference in the 2mm but nonetheless decided at $100/mm the Canon was a bit more cost than benefit. I was also surprised at how the Tokina just reaked of quality when you hold it. I can't wait for it to arrive...

Take a look if you're asking yourself the same question I was....

http://www.michaeldolan.com/170
xtaski is offline   Reply With Quote