Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 29, 2006, 8:35 AM   #1

I just bought a Canon Digital Rebel XT with a EF 17-85mm IS USM lens. Love it! Shot several hundred pictures the first day. Unlike the point and shoot digicams I had, this one is fun to work with and makes you want to do more.

The 17-85 is a great lens and will probably be my most used lens. But, I want a telephoto zoom. Probably in th 75-300mm range. I can get the EF 75-300mm USM forabout $200. I can afford to get that right now. Is it worth the extra $300 and a 6 month wait (have to save more $) to get the same focal length lense with image stabilization? I will mostly be using it for wildlife/nature photography. I appreciate your thoughts on the subject. I'm sure this has been discussed many times, but I wasn't able to find it using the search feature.

Thanks

ScubaDachshund
ScubaDachshund is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:25 AM   #2

sorry, I hit the send twice...:?
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:25 AM   #3

Scuba.....
I started out with the Canon D30 and bought the Canon 75-300mm zoom...I even bought the tamron 1.4x tele converter...They worked ok together...I shoot alot of surfing shots and with that combo I only had to enhance a little using photoshop...
Went to the 10D....Still the same results with the lens ....Now I am using a 20D and
have used the 75-300mm with that camera...Still get ok results and again with a bit of enhancing you can make a nice picture...If the money is not there for a better lens, I would get the 75-300...Not the best glass, not the worst either...You will have fun learning your camera with it...I do not have the IS version...The lens is light enough you should be able to hold it steady, especially with a fast shutter speed...But if you dont think you can hold it, the IS version works...I know I read that someplace...Also, I use a Mono pod instead of a tripod....Tripods can be a pain in the butt trying to chase down birds etc....One more thing...Eventually upgrade to the L series lenses....Awsome glass and awsome photos.....
john
:|

John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 5:37 PM   #4

I would recommend the Canon 70-300mm IS. This is not the DO version. Some report problems in the vertical position, I had to send my first one back for exchange. The copy I have now is still not perfect in vertical all the time, but I will keep it. I just took a bunch of photo's with it at the local duck pond which can be viewed here:

http://flickr.com/photos/winginhunk/...7594094705791/

Here is one of the pic's shot at 300mm, iso 400:

Winginhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 1:55 PM   #5

Winginhunk wrote: "I would recommend the Canon 70-300mm IS. This is not the DO version. Some report problems in the vertical position, I had to send my first one back for exchange. The copy I have now is still not perfect in vertical all the time, but I will keep it."

What is the problem in the vertical orientation and how do you test for this problem with Canon 70-300mm IS USM lens?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 6:33 PM   #6

Some of the 70-300mm lens have a problem with being soft at 300mm in the vertical (portait) mode. Landscapeor horizontal is sharp. Something to do with the internals of the lens not supporting the lens properly when you turn the camera in the portait position. The first lens I ordered had a little bit of the problem, I exchanged it for another which is better, but the portait position is still not as sharp as in horizontal position. For me, since 95% of my photo's will be in horizontal I decided to keep the second copy. And since I have never printed larger than 8x10 I can easily just crop a horizontal photo for a portait style shot. The IS, size & weight of the lens plus the quality of the photo's make it worth while for me.
For more information see the "Canon SLR Lens Talk" forum at Dpreview:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1029

and do a search for "Canon 70-300mm"
Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:37 PM   #7

Thanks for the information. I am thinking of buying this Canon lens 70-300mm/f4-5.6 IS USM. With the possiblity of returning it a few times for this problem should I buy from a local brick and morter store? Would online stores like B&H or Amazon let me exchange it without hassel?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:43 AM   #8

I purchased mine from B&H and exchanged it without any problems, you have seven days for the exchange. When I purchased the first one and sent it back I only paid for the UPS 7 day shipment (I had to pay to send it back of course). They shipped the new out to me viathree day express, which I thought was nice of them. I could have purchased it a little cheaper elsewhere, but B&H's reputation got my business.