Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 6, 2006, 1:06 AM   #1

Now that I've made the wonderful dive into the DSLR market (Canon Rebel XT), I'm looking to make my first lense purchase (aside from the 18-55mm kit lense).

I've come to the quick understanding that when it comes to lenses, you get what you pay for. I'm extremely interested in both wide-angle landscape shots and wildlife photography; two completely different ends of the lense spectrum.

My question lies here: what are the most popular/reputable lense makers?
Obviously one cannot go wrong with Canon lenses. I am under the impression that Sigma is also a very good brand. What about the other ones such as Tamron?

I'm beginning the initial research into a lense and I'm looking at the super-wide range (not extreme like a fisheye) of 10mm at the wide-open end. I'm also considering a telephoto lense as the kit lense has a respectable wide-angle shot at 18mm.
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2006, 6:38 AM   #2

Justin Hancock wrote:
Quote:
My question lies here: what are the most popular/reputable lense makers? Obviously one cannot go wrong with Canon lenses. I am under the impression that Sigma is also a very good brand. What about the other ones such as Tamron?
I could tell you that Leica, Leitz, Nikor, Olympus, and Rodenstock make top lenses, but it wouldn't be very relevant to your issue. What you're really asking is what are the most popular/reputable lens makers for the Canon XT, so I would think the thread should go in the "Canon lens" forum, where all the Canon owners can give you advice about what to purchase. And don't be fooled: you can go wrong with Canon lenses, if you're really looking for top quality; for example, from everything I've read, the kit lens is not a particularly great choice, as kit lenses go.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:12 AM   #3
Administrator

I moved this thread to our Canon Lenses Forum for you, where you may have a better chance of getting useful responses.

Canon, Sigma, Tamron and Tokina are the most popular brands of lenses you'll find for Canon DSLR models.

But, you need to take each lens on a case by case basis. All of these manufacturers (including Canon) have lower quality lenses and higher quality lenses. You can't go by brand name alone.

Your budget will have a biggest influence on the quality you can get for a given focal length/range.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:25 PM   #4

First, you have to decide what you want to take photos of, (you have). Then go to the manufacturers sites and look at the lenses available for what you want to do. Next, check reviews for lenses you are interested in. Finally, ask around for individuals personal experiences with a few lenses you are interested in. Almost forgot, you need to check prices to see what's in the range you have to spend. :?

At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :blah:

Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 9:44 PM   #5

The best lens is the one that gets used the most.

I have both Tamron's and Canon lenses for my 20D.

Lately I've been really getting into really fast primes.

I'm starting to think even F2.8 isn't fast enough for me.

F2.0 or better is my kind of lens.

However next month I'll probably be back into F2.8 zooms heavily again!

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 9:45 PM   #6

The best lens is the one that gets used the most.

I have both Tamron's and Canon lenses for my 20D.

Lately I've been really getting into really fast primes.

I'm starting to think even F2.8 isn't fast enough for me.

F2.0 or better is my kind of lens.

However next month I'll probably be back into F2.8 zooms heavily again!

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote