Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 6, 2006, 2:40 AM   #1

Forgive me if this question has been asked before, I am about to purchase a 70-200 f2.8 zoom and have almost certainly decided on the Canon non is ( would love the is but lack of funds says no )

A very close second choiceis the Sigma, but my query is regarding the lack of sealing on the Canon, I would hardly ever be shooting in wet conditions so I am more concerned about dust getting in on the glass. I know dust is a problem whenever the lens is changed but is dust able to penetrate through lack of sealing without being able to do anything about it.

Dave.
Gypsyrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2006, 6:55 AM   #2

Dave,

Unless you're in extremely harsh conditions (where say there is a lot of blowing sand, etc..) dust will not be an issue. And, if it is, unless you have a 1-series camera, the camera isn't sealed anyway. So, if you're going to be shooting in those harsh conditions on a consistant basis you would want a sealed camera to go with sealed lenses. If you're not in those harsh conditions then don't worry about dust getting in - it won't be an issue.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:19 AM   #3
spy

Dust is a 'conditional' issue. You won't have a problem with it unless lots of it is blowing around. I have only heard that dust is more of a problem with the 100 - 400 due to the lens 'slide zoom' design and even then the dust can appear on the front glass and not be seen in the pics but if it makes its way to the back element then it may be an issue.

I plan, once a year or so to take my equipment in to Canon to have the camera and lens opened up and blown out anyway, ...probably a good maintanence move.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:56 AM   #4

Thanks for the good news fellows,I willbuythe Canon and hope I've made the right decision as opposed to the Sigma,I suppose I could wait a few months and get the ISversion which could come in handy at times butas I'm60 years oldImight regret the wait.:lol:
Old Apr 16, 2006, 9:01 AM   #5

By the way folks, I know I would have regretted getting anything but the IS version of the Canon, so I've gone ahead and ordered it.

Judging by the examples I've seen, there doesn't seem anything to touch it IMHO, although some might come close.

Dave.