Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 10, 2006, 10:54 AM   #1

Yesterday i just purchased a Canon 350D and it came with the standard 18-55 lens i have not taken pictures with it yet, now with that lens is it a good lens i mean does it take good pictures? plus i am gonna order another lens from technikdirekt, and i see so many and don't know what to choose i was thinking of the sigma EX 4,5-5,6/80-400 DG C/AF OS it is selling for 1.190.00 euro and was wondering if it is a ggod lens, i am new to the dslr cameras, the only thing i uderstand on that lens is zoom range 80-400, but what aperture can you use i only see 4,5-5,6 it also looks like a huge lens or maybe it's just the picture..
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2006, 11:28 AM   #2

Oh one more question are the canon EF DC 4,0-5,6/75-300 III and canon USM 4,0-5,6/75-300 III good lenses.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 12:47 PM   #3

Hercules,

THe kit lens is certainly capable of taking good pictures. Is it just as good as an $1100 lens like the 24-70 L or the 24-105? No. But it can take good pictures.

In regards to your question of other lenses: what is it you want to use the new lens for? What features are important? The lenses you listed may or may not be capable of doing what you need. But in general, the Canon 75-300 lenses really have a poor reputation. The Sigma 70-300 has a better reputation at around the same price point. Of course the new Canon 70-300 is, by all accounts, an exceptional value - but both versions are more costly ($750 USD for non-DO version and $1100 USDfor DO version).

On apertures, when you see 4.5-5.6 that means that when the zoom lens is at it's widest (70mm say) it has a max aperture of 4.5 the minimum aperture is probably somewere around f22. As you zoom out though, the max aperture goes down to 5.6 (at what point in the zoom this happens I'm not sure as it is lens specific). Typically lenses that drop to 5.6 at the long end require a lot of light to function well (even the expensive Canon 100-400L requires good light to function well).

So, we're back to: what do you want to do with this lens? Do you just want more reach for whatever? I.E. you don't know yet what you'll want to shoot? Or do you have a specific photographic need?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 4:29 PM   #4

Thanks JohnG for explaining, i use the camera for family pictures plus when i go on vacation i need a good zoom lens, now the lens the 350D came with is 18-55 is that a good lens i was thinking on ordering the 17-85 USM IS, lens for all around and then another lens for long shots so what lens do you think for a zoom lens sigma. Like i said i'm new to the dslr as i still have the S9500 Thank You..