Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:38 AM   #1

Hi, I am brand new to the camera world. I bought the Canon Rebel XT EOS 350D yesterday. There is a lot of technical jargon in the hand book that I have no idea about. I have noticed that this lens on the camera does not reach out as far as I would like. The lens on the camera now is a EFS 18-55. I have no idea what that means. Does the 18-55 have to do with how far it will reach? What I want to do with the camera is go the the drag strip and take pictures of cars launching off the starting line and get as many pictures as I can. Do you guys have any suggestions?:?
3970010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2006, 5:17 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum 7940020 x 0.5

18-55mm is the focal length range. Smaller the focal length grater the angle of view. At the wide end, 18mm, the angle of view is widest. At the 55mm end the angle is smallest.

Here is an interesting article on focal length:

http://www.photozone.de/4Technique/compose/focal.htm

Sounds like you want a zoom lens. There are many to choose from (which in itself is a problem for me), take a look here for reviews:
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html

For example take a look at the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 USM L IS. "IS" is for Image Stabilizer. If you are going to shoot hand held you'd want an IS lens. But beware, Canon lenses are not cheap!
YunusEmre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 6:03 PM   #3

Thank You for that piece of information. It is all a bit confusing to me. I have been reading a lot of these post and some of it is comming to me. Thank all of you.
3970010 is offline   Reply With Quote