Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 16, 2006, 4:52 PM   #1

I currently have a Canon Rebel XT w/ kit lens (18-55mm). I'm looking into the possibility of purchasing a Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 EF IS USM lense.

The 70-300mm lense has a front autofocusing element that rotates to focus; I am fairly certain that the 18-55mm kit lense does this as well.

My question is; how does one effectively use a polarizing filter when the front element rotates to focus?
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2006, 6:19 PM   #2
NHL

Justin Hancock wrote:
Quote:
My question is; how does one effectively use a polarizing filter when the front element rotates to focus?
Can you hold on to the outer ring on the polarizer while the lens is focusing? :-)
(i.e. the other 1/2 which is not threaded to the front of the lens)

-> The best is to pick a lens with internal focus - the front will then not rotate at all!

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 8:11 AM   #3

Focus once, then set the polarizer. Refocus and the polarizer will end up near enough where you left it as long as the subject is the same distance away. If you want to shoot moving targets get a better lens now while you still have some hair.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote