Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 17, 2006, 10:55 AM   #1

Hi, I'm relatively new here and considering moving to one of Canon's DSLR's (the 30D).* I have the Canon 75-300 USM (non IS) lens and am wondering if anybody here has experience with this lens and whether it will be sharp enough for digital work. It seem to me from what I' m reading in all the forums is that you have to have really sharp lens for the DSLR's.* I do mostly landscape work and this lens would be ideal with the 1.6 crop factor.**Has anybody used this lens with a DSLR and were you pleased with the results?* Thanks.Jon
Jon_Doh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2006, 11:12 PM   #2

Check 'moon pictures' topic. There I've posted two pictures with 30D and Canon 75-300 USM II lense. I do not find this lense of being to sharp comparing to other more expensive. I am definitelly planing to buy another one. Only thing you have to do is to test the lens for yourself.
GM2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 1:53 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
I do mostly landscape work and this lens would be ideal with the 1.6 crop factor.
Um, are you sure?

(75-300) *1.6 => 120-480mm equivalent.

Are those really the ideal effective focal lengths for your landscape photography? Most people prefer something a little wider. :-)
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 6:03 AM   #4

Jon....
I have had the 75-300mm since I started with Canon's D30, way back when...
I have used it with the 10D and with the 20D...And even used the 1.4x converter with it...IMO its an ok lens for pretty much anything...Not the best for landscapes, but it might work for you, depending on how wide you want your shots...I agree with Per though, I would look for a wider lens for landscapes because with the digital 1.6 factor you wont have 75mm on the bottom end...I have taken tons of action (surfing) shots with this lens and with just a bit of photo shop work have gotten very nice results...It IS a bit soft, to answer your question, but I have been satisified with my shots...Quite a few have been good enough to be published in surfer magizines...So if your concerned with the quality of this lens, again, it's not a bad lens...I have since moved up to L glass and if you have the money, a wide L lenses would be your best bet...These lenses take awsome pictures...If your making money with your photography, why not go with the best...
john :roll:

John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 7:53 AM   #5

Thank you for the replies.* I do have a couple of wider lenses, but a lot of the landscape work I do requires a long telephoto - such as pulling in waterfalls.* Although i don't own any L lenses, I have worked with them and I agree they can't be beat.* But, since I often hike for miles to set up my shots I try to carry as light a load as possible and the smaller, lighter lenses sure help.* Years ago I bought Sigma lens for that very reason.* They were compact and light weight and gave great pictures for the money.* But they are older and won't work with the newer Canon bodies.**
Jon_Doh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 10:35 AM   #6

I have the old Canon 75-300 IS and it is a great lens. I can't believe the way this lens is maligned by a great many people. I've taken dozens of great pictures at all focal lengths with this lens and found it extemely sharp with good contrast and color in good light and the old IS works well in low light which I have used for many sunset pictures. I paid $450 for it and it is definitely worth the money. I don't use it that much any more because I now have the 70-200 f/2.8 IS which is just about a perfect zoom lens. Of course it costs 4 times as much as the 75-300 IS which to my mind is a great long zoom lens if you can't afford better. Just my opinion of course.
looscanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:45 PM   #7

There must be a quite difference between 75-300 USM II (which I have) and same lens with IS. I am not happy with my when it comesto sharpens, fringing and ghosting. This lens may be good for portraits because it is soft.

On my wish list for the tele are two candidates:

70-200/2.8 (Sigma)

80-400 Sigma or 100-400 Canon.

This is not cheap solution for hobby use so maybe 70-200/2.8 and 1.4/2.0 may work for some time.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 3:12 PM   #8

This is a full resolution photo I took the other day of Point Furman from a Coast Guard bouy tender ship a long ways offshore. It was with my Rebel XT and Canon 75-300mm USM III f/4-5.6 lens. I'd say its pretty sharp considering the distance offshore I was and the fact that I was on a ship which wasn't the most stable of platforms.

56k = no! This photo is about 6mb.
http://www.kalionzes.com/photography...anFullSize.jpg
Andrew LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:31 PM   #9

I agree, picture is really sharp. Looks like a quite a difference between II and III. Same difference can be seen comparing XT kit lens and improved II version (here on Steve's sample pictures).
Old Apr 20, 2006, 8:54 AM   #10

This picture was taken with the Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. No editing except to reduce size. I don't know how it could be sharper.
Attached Images

looscanon is offline   Reply With Quote