Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 17, 2006, 1:33 PM   #1

Hi Guys..
Quick question can a EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM lens as a walk around lens..
i broke my kit lens and was think of getting this lens. to take pics of my familyand pics @ parties
kamla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2006, 2:35 PM   #2
NHL

This is about a 100mm macro lens with a cropped dSLR not a very practical all around lens...

If you can live with an f/2.8 then the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 should fit better for your family pictures
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 3:39 PM   #3

AHHH
Thanks..

How about these two lens then..

Zoom Super Wide Angle EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Autofocus Lens Price : $ 509.95

Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro Autofocus Lens Price : $ 389.00

i like to take macro shots of my Fish tank
i also the feature where you take close up of people and background is blury..

Price is also an issue..

So you can tell, i am very new with this DSLR stuff.. just learning...

Also till i get the hang of using my DSLR (350D) i will NOT be buying anymore lens
Old Apr 17, 2006, 4:46 PM   #4

You'll get a blurry background with either lens, except its like the kit lens' blurry background. But I guess f/4.5 at 70mm is better than f/5.6 at 85mm (and better than f/5.6 at 55mm on the kit lens). f/2.8 at 17mm is sort of useless for single portrait photography ... You want long focal lengths for those situations.

There are several factors that increase blurry-ness (decreasing DOF) in the background:

-larger aperture
-longer focal length
-closer distance to subject

The last two are sort of like a combo. If your focal length increases, you can decrease DOF, but now you're closest focusing distance to the subject increases - so now your DOF increases. Or at least I think that's how it works... :?
Anyway, as an example, there are pros that'll use a 300mm f/2.8 lens for portraits instead of the 85mm f/1.2 L.

that extra ~$120 for the 17-85 is for the IS (antishake) and USM. If you feel like you can live without the two, then I think the sigma is a pretty decent deal. It even scored better than the 17-85 in review below (in terms of optics).

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...2845/index.htm
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 10:30 AM   #5

How much difference will the IS and USM make for a newbie like me..

Also what about the macro capabilities..

Can the Canon take same sort of macro shots as the sigma

Thanks for your help
Old Apr 18, 2006, 1:37 PM   #6

IS(image stabilization) will benefit anyone. The antishake technology helps you handhold shots in situations where the time shutter is too slow to handhold normally. For instance, 1/15s is a really hard shutter time to handhold. IS will help there.

However, this is only benificial for static objects. If your majority of pictures are moving objects, then IS will be less important to you.

USM (ultra sonic motor) is a type of focusing mechanic for the lens. It's extremely quiet and extremely fast compared to the DC motor found on the kit lens. You can also manually focus the lens without having to turn the switch from AF to MF.

USM is not absolutely necessary, but it is a nice feature.

As for macro... I believe the maximum magnification on the 17-85 is 1:5
The sigma is 1:2.3 ... which is a lot better.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 8:38 AM   #7

O.K. So the Canaon lens seems better..
Can i get a like an externter ring to make the Canon lens take better macro shots..

Thanks for the free lesson ..

Old Apr 19, 2006, 10:19 AM   #8

I believe extension tubes can be used on any lens, including the 17-85. The bad thing is that you'll lose light (I'm not sure if the camera will automatically compensate for this or not), and you will not be able to focus at infinity. The good thing is that the optics will not degrade and you can continue stacking tubes.

Now on to the actual macro part. To get the most 1:1 macro shot, you'll need to get extension tubes that'll add up to the same focal length of the lens... :

Magnification factor:

X:1 , where

X = (length of the tubes) / (focal length of the lens)

For example, you stack up a bunch of tubes and the total length is 70mm. And now you set the 17-85 to 70mm. In theory, you should get a 1:1 true macro shot. Note if you decrease the focal length on the lens, say to 35mm, the magnification will be 2:1, which is bigger than real life size. (I'd suggest sticking to a med-long focal length just for the sake of keeping some distance between you and the subject).

On a side note, most macro fanatics will recommend that you get a true macro lens in the first place. And also to manually focus because DOF is so thin and the AF will probably be slow/inaccurate.

Old Apr 19, 2006, 10:28 AM   #9

thax BoYFrMSpC for you rhelp..

if i get the canon lens, it will let me take close up of my fish thank right.. NOt macro buut quite close.. right??

and over all this is good lens to have right??

when i am ready i will get a true macro lens..
Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:13 AM   #10

If your looking for a good macro lens that isnt that expensive and gives you 1: then I recommend the Sigma 50mm2.8 DG MACRO,as it is a great lens and is priced right too.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote